Help!! What Is This Made Out Of

Decorating By Meloda Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 11:26am by Meloda

Meloda Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make this cake for a groom's cake - he is an avid golfer. I don't know where the picture came from so...andy ideas how this grass was made???? Thanks - Melanie

12 replies
matwogirls Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 13

ok, seriously? Where do people come up with these pics. icon_smile.gif If it can be done I sure would like to know as well. I can't see how that is anyway icing or edible though. I think that the golfball is a cake but the grass must be some greenery from craft store or something. I am sorry that it most likeley is not much help, but you should search on the web there are some great cakes they may like just as well that is all cake and icing.

for example check this out:

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 13

That looks like greenery to me too!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 13

I agree about the greenery. I think you could easily make the ball from cake and dimple the fondant.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 13

The ball can be easily done with the Wilton ball pan, I did a baseball-ball the other day...very easy.
Like pp said, the grass looks like some kind of greenery from a craft store.

aimers Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 13

It looks like wheatgrass to me. You can find it in your grocery store in the produce isle. You may have to search in a health food market...Worst case-go your local juice bar, In CA we have Jamba Juice. They always have flats of it for wheatgrass juice.

butterflywings Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 13

i was just going to say the same thing, aimers... wheatgrass is edible

FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 13

I was going t o say wheatgrass too.. you can grow it or buy it.. just be sure it's food grade.
icon_smile.gif They sell faux grass too.

Jopalis Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 13

If they want exactly the same, I think it is wheatgrass. If they will settle for another grass facsimile, you can use the grass tip and icing. I would say tinted coconut but that won't give the vertical grass look. I wouldn't want wheat grass on my cake.... blecch. Unless of course just the ball is the cake as others said.

Auryn Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #10 of 13

i think the grass is gonna be the least of your worries

all those dimples made symmetrically and properly is gonna be a headache

gscout73 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:55am
post #11 of 13

The dimples on the cake are not difficult, just time consuming as there are so many of them. I did a golf ball cake and iced in buttercream. Then, after turning my house and car upside down icon_cry.gif I found exactly what I needed- a "click" ball point pen that had a very small metal end. It was the perfect size and shape as the dimples had to be slightly rounded rather than flat. It is funny the things you can find to make just the right look. icon_rolleyes.gif

cocobean Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #12 of 13

Meloda, that is a beautiful cake. If you can duplicate it I would. I believe they used wheat grass also. Can you tell what they used around the bottom? I did a golfball cake last year and covered it with fondant. It was quite difficult to cover the round shape. After sitting a while the dimples in the cake looked less defined. Like they wanted to go back to smooth fondant. Does that make sense. I think the gal with the idea of the ball point pen would work better than what I used. I recall I used a very small marble. Well, good luck with it. Again I think it's beautiful! Kind of like a theme of go green with CAKE. Maybe you could make the cake out of all organic ingredients. That would make it even better. Kind of a fun idea. Very original.

Meloda Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:26am
post #13 of 13

THANKS to everyone!!! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure the grass out. I would never have guessed wheat grass YUCK that's healthy isn't it-kinda doesn't go with sugar, chocolate etc. I definitely wouldn't want that on my cake. I will have to see if they are agreeable to craft store grass. I think the sides of the cake are made to look like a divet of grass so I am guessing that the sides aren't smooth. I am thinking cake crumbs added to dark green and dark brown icing to look like "dirt". I still haven't committed to this one because it is the same old story. They don't want to spend much on the grooms cake, blah blah blah so........ I keep everyone posted. Thanks again. OK I HABE TO GO TO WORK and get off of this website icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%