Cupcake Size Vs. Party Size Slices

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 2:30am by HerBoudoir

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 5

Are party slices larger than a standard cupcake? Is a cupcake about the same as a wedding size? TIA!

4 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 5

Personally, and people will surely disagree, I think a cupcake is about half the size of a slice of cake. If you think about it-a box mix says you can get 12 servings from the mix. But you get 24 cupcakes. Now 12 servings from a mix MAY be party sized servings, but it even a wedding slice, I think, is bigger than a cupcake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:44am
post #3 of 5

Best way to figure this out is to compare the same amout of batter in cupcakes and a cake. I don't have serving charts memorized, but I can make around 36 or more cupcakes with the same amount of batter I put in a 13x9 (one layer 2 in). So I'm thinking you would get more servings from cupcakes than you would from a 13x9, but I may be wrong here. icon_smile.gif

And yes the cake mix says it serves 12 people. That is like family size wedge servings. Plus I don't put much stock in a box that tells you you can make a 8in, 9in or 13x9 with the same amount of batter, because we know it takes different amounts of batter to get the 2in layers we all like.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

I use 1 cake mix for a 2-layer round 8" cake .... it serves 24 wedding servings, per the wilton chart, which is what I go by and it's how I cut my wedding cakes.

Agree that if the box says "12 servings", they are talking about pie-shaped wedges.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #5 of 5

One cake mix makes (generally) 24 standard size cupcakes...so it sounds as if it's about equal in size to your wedding slices icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%