Rice Krispy Help/suggestions Much Needed

Decorating By spunkybear Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm by rmbias1

spunkybear Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I am attempting a rather large version of a 3D Elmo popping out of the top of a stack of presents. To lighten this up a little, I thought I would make the Elmo out of RKT. I have never ventured in this medium in requard to the cake world. Now the questions.....
Do I need to modify the normal ratio to make this dry/ stiffer?
How long do I need to let this set before I cover?
Because I am making a "rough looking fur" should I cover it with a crumb coating so to speak to make the buttercream adhere better?
How far in advance can I make this part of the cake? (Cake not due until Sat. but I have 3 others to do and 4 doz cupcakes, so time is tight)
Any other advice or hints any of you wonderful bakery elves might have would be soooooo appreciated!

6 replies
cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:19am
post #2 of 7

I wish I had more info for you but I have only used them once. I made the regular recipe and found I had to let it sit overnight after it was shaped for it to be stiff enough. I have heard of people leaving the butter out for molding but I ave not tried it myself.

Carson Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:27am
post #3 of 7

I just use the regular recipe. Leaving it to harden for a few hours should be enough too. I'm not sure what you are covering it with, fondant or buttercream? I covered the pillars in my Dora Castle cake with a thin layer of mmf - nothing else and it made it "rough looking".

Hopefully this helps.

JanH Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:53am
post #4 of 7

Here's a RKT Elmo link provided by cake-angel:
(Includes complete directions, including recommended RKT recipe.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about RKT's, molding, making, fondant and more:

HerBoudoir Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 7

For a stiff RKT - melt 1 bag marshmallows and 1 stick butter (butter is important - for some reason it dries stiffer than margarine). Instead of the usual 5 cups or so of Krispies, use 7-8 cups.

It'll dry stiff as a rock.

spunkybear Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your help!! (Especially you JanH!!) I was sure all the little questions I had were previously asked and in here somewhere, but my last couple of weeks have been beyond hectic and when I do get a few minutes to surf my new favorite addiction (CC) the servers are down or overloaded and slow. Being married to IT developer, I understand!

You know I USED to condsider myself a pretty good decorator until I found the like of CC!!!!! I have learned more in the last 2 months of lurking around here than I have in the last 15 years of decorating!! It seems like I am looking for excuses to make cakes lately just to try some of these skills out. Ironically, now don't hate me, but I don't even like cake!!!

rmbias1 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 7

I leave out the butter. I found that the shapes I made with Rice Crispies didn't hold their shape over time and someone on here suggested leaving out the butter. it worked like a charm. No more sagging shapes. The rest of the recipe stays the same - melt marshmallows, add Rice Crispies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%