ctackett Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of

I have to do a grooms cake that looks like a cooler of beer. How do you make the ice cubes?

7 replies
Laura102777 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of

I've never made one, but the first thing that comes to mind is that you could use clear gelatin in ice cube trays.

melvin01 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of

I'd look for one of the pictures from someone who has made one and IM them the question.

I think some have used rock candy but that is how I'd go about finding out. There are several on this site who have made them.

darandon Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #4 of

I made a beer cooler cake - I haven't posted it yet - I made my ice cubes out of clear jello. I used the jiggler recipe and they held up great when I made the cake for during the summer.

anne4588 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #5 of

Hi there, I have used both knox and rock candy. My thoughts, Rock candy can be expensive and I did not think the look was right, I used the Knox and tried the ice cube trays and it did not set up so well, Then I used a square pan poured in the Knox about 1" deep and cut into cubes after it set.I found that this held up well,and after a test on the counter 18 hours it finally started to weep a little.was not worried about 4 or 5 hours on the cake. My ice cube cake is in my pics. Good luck.

ctackett Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:11pm
post #6 of

Wouldnt they get runny and melt into the cake?

fabiolacamacho Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of

This is a very good question, I made a beer basket (posted in my pics) and I resulted to using ice cubes that I found at walmart, although they were very heavy and I had to be very careful when I positioned them so that the buttercream would not get so smushed (if that is a word icon_confused.gif ). I would think that the clear gelatin would melt on to the cake or at least flavor the icing a bit .

anne4588 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:22pm
post #8 of

Nope, no melting or funny flavor, I put them on the cake at the reception at 12 noon and the cake was cut at 5:30 and was told that the cubes and cake both held up fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%