Pricing On Sheet Cakes ...

Decorating By catin Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 1:25am by Tellis12

catin Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone point in the right direction ? I have an order for a 18X24 sheet cake ( usually feeds 110 ppl) . The Cake will be mainly decorated in Buttercream with Fondant accents with 3d accents as well . This Sheet Cake is for an Outdoor Wedding that will take place in August . I just don't want to charge to much or to little . The Bride is on a Budget as well .

Julie thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
CoutureCake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

O.k. When a bride tells you the phrase "I'm on a budget" take it with a grain of salt, because EVERYONE is on a tapedshut.gif BUDGET!!!

If she wants YOUR cake and YOUR talent, she's going to pay YOUR BUDGET's prices 'cause she doesn't take a pay cut at her job for equal work either... "The Donald" is on a budget too... You've got to get over the fear of it in flat out asking "what IS your budget? and here's what I can do for that $$$"... I've had brides who have had their receptions at the poshest sites in town say "I'm on a budget" when I come back with their quote I'm still less than what they got quoted elsewhere (even with the $50 delivery for that one)... OTOH, if their budget is at Walmart (which remember that they've raised their rates too), then you can send them there without even messing with things...

Given that it's not just a boring sheet, I'd charge your regular wedding cake rates for this one. The other thing is there's a bit of fish smell to me in reading that it's for a wedding and they only want sheet cake instead of a simply decorated wedding cake. KWIM???

indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:00am
post #3 of 5

I refuse to negotiate with brides who plead poverty, yet they are throwing a party for over 100 people! If she's "on a budget", then she can cut her guest list .... that's the FIRST way to save money!

Expecting me to cut my price is NOT how she is going to save money. I have rent to pay and kids to feed, too.

mocakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by indydebi

Expecting me to cut my price is NOT how she is going to save money. I have rent to pay and kids to feed, too.

No kidding!!! thumbs_up.gif

Tellis12 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 5

For me, I charge $2 a serving for bc whether it is a sheet cake or a wedding cake. I'm going to put the same amount of effort into my sheet cakes as I do a tiered cake because I want it to be the best it can be. That said, if they want something more elaborate, I'll charge more for that element. My sheet cakes don't look or taste like they came from Wal-Mart so I charge accordingly. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%