Icing Never Stays Smooth - Could It Be More Shortening?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 1:53am by vdrsolo

imartsy Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 14

I use the buttercream dream recipe, but I use Spectrum organic shortening http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

I've tried adding some vinegar to it, b/c I've heard that helps icing stay smooth - maybe I'm not adding enough.

My problem is that I'll apply the icing, wait for it to crust, and I've used the foam roller and I've tried just the viva towels and my hand, and the viva towels and my fondant smoother - but my icing still seems to have cracks in it the next day. I have the same problems with my fondant/gumpaste figures too icon_sad.gif I don't know why everything is all cracked up!!

Any ideas? Do I need to switch shortening? I really like the organic stuff.....

13 replies
imartsy Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 14

It's been awhile since I posted, so I thought I might bump.

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 14

I think your bigger problem is the shortening. Is transfat free shortening and for the icing, you want a shortening with the transfat. If you ever can stand getting out of the organics sweetex, alpine, ck are better shortening for cakes..

chinadoll652003 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 14

I don't use organic shortening..and I have a problem with my icing staying smooth, so not sure that is the problem.

For me, I think I make it too stiff so I'm trying to add a little more liguid for a softer, creamier icing.

Maybe someone on here can give us both some pointers. Good luck!!

imartsy Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 14

I don't know what it is - I did use high ratio shortening once upon a time, but I'd like to stay with organic if possible. Nothing else I use is organic, but I try to user the healthier oils and this shortening. I dunno though - maybe I'll have to switch. I just hate putting the transfats back in...

butterflywings Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 14

try indydebi's recipe. she uses plain old (non-transfat) crisco for hers (and i've used it too) and it's beautiful, as long as you get the right amount of liquid added. so it might work with your organic shortening.

here's a link to a thread w/the recipe, indydebi is the 2nd poster w/the recipe in her post

SeriousCakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #7 of 14

Here's a video I made showing my recipe (using Crisco!), I never have a problem with cracking:

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #8 of 14

Are your cake boards thick enough? Do the cracks show up after the cakes are moved?

sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #9 of 14

I think your recipe needs more fat; not liquid.

tonedna Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #10 of 14

I agree with Sharon. Liquid is going to make it worst!

imartsy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 14

So more fat? Meaning I need the hydrogenated fat, or I just need more shortening than normal?

sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 14

more shortening in your ratio

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #13 of 14

I completely agree with needing more shortening or butter. You don't say how much fat is in the recipe but I suggest at least 1 1/2 cups -- preferely 2 cups per 2#s of powdered sugar.

vdrsolo Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:53am
post #14 of 14

I agree...more shortening (or less powdered sugar). Sounds like your icing is crusting too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%