Wilton Letters & Numbers Molds

Decorating By Jenna217 Updated 19 May 2008 , 11:37am by suzylynn58

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 17

Has anoyone tried the Wilton Letters and Numbers molds? I tried them last night and used MMF and they got so stuck I couldn't hardly pry them out. icon_surprised.gif I tried freezing them even! Even a dusting of cornstarch in one, and powdered sugar in the other didn't help. J

ust wondering if anyone has tried Wilton fondant in these instead or maybe gumpaste or a 50/50 of fondant and gumpaste. Any tips with this kit would be higly appreciated! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 17

I'd let the air dry the fondant a bit on both sides get sort of a skin then try them like when using Tappit cutters.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 17

Nope, sorry, I never got them to work either. The only way I could get them to work even a little was with some oil, but it took dipping them everytime, and you got oil on the fondant....I finally gave up and handcrafted all the numbers I needed. (75 "16"s)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 17

If you are using MMF or Satin Ice it can be too soft sometimes.. Either add Tylose or gumpaste and when you put in the mold make sure you have plenty of cornstarch. You can use a toothpick in the back to lift it a little. It work....is a matter of getting use to how is supposed to be done.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 17

Hi Tonedna sometimes when I have used a toothpick I have poked holes though and it irks me so much, so now I use either a cel stick or the back of a bamboo fondue stick which has a flatter end......then Jenna217 - Tonedna is so right, tylose tends to dry out the fondant and when doing letters that is what you want for a nice clean nonsticking cut.

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 17

I use a toothpick or the bamboo..yes you gotta be careful.. Dont do it straight down...go sideways..If still sticks maybe your fondant still too sticky either more Tylose and Cornstarch.

Jenna217 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for the replies - I'm going to try gumpaste tonight to see if that's any better. Also going to double-load up on cornstarch!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 17

Great suggestions here, but thought I might add my .02 ..... icon_smile.gif I really prefer gumpaste for the same reasons stated.. it dries out faster, less sticking, and I use a set of dental tools... you heard right icon_lol.gif dental tools to gently lift them out... very sharp points and easy to handle.. I got mine at a place called Harbor Freight...... go figure icon_confused.gif

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 17

lol laura ..I have dental tools..The best ones are the waxers...I bought them at ebay!...I cant live without them! Edna

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 17

I hate the letter molds!!!!! I have tried them a few times and have given up. I used 50/50 and couldn't get them out, and when I did, they looked awful....figured it was a waste of money. I will try the dental tools for one last try.

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kello

I hate the letter molds!!!!! I have tried them a few times and have given up. I used 50/50 and couldn't get them out, and when I did, they looked awful....figured it was a waste of money. I will try the dental tools for one last try.

They can be a little bit tricky at first..and more if it is a complicated mold. Use enough cornstarch and keep trying!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 17

I just bought a set of these and thought about using them for melted chocolate. It doesn't state you can use them on the box but does anyone know if that will work?

Jenna217 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 17

I'm actually in the process of testing that out as we speak. I went to the craft store to pick up some gumpaste to try in these molds, but then my eyes wandered to the melts...stay tuned... icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:10am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyone65

I just bought a set of these and thought about using them for melted chocolate. It doesn't state you can use them on the box but does anyone know if that will work?

Yes you can use them for candy melts ...and the candy melts you can use for gumpaste/fondant..I do it all the time
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Jenna217 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #15 of 17

The melts work perfectly! I guess I have myself a new set of Melts Molds. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna217

The melts work perfectly! I guess I have myself a new set of Melts Molds. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I gave up trying to use fondant with these molds. I am with Jenna217... I only use them with melts! They do come out very pretty. icon_lol.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #17 of 17

Are these the metal wilton alphabet cutters you all are talking about? I tried to make letters with them last nite and got soo frustrated!!! I will have to try the chocolate next time.

susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%