Best Recipe For Cake Under Fondant

Decorating By eats Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 4:31am by calynmom

eats Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking for a receipe for cake dense enough to stand under the weight of fondant. I am not sure if the fondant on my cake stretch some, or if the cake settled. Help!

9 replies
YummyFireMummy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:14am
post #2 of 10

mudcake is great under fondant...it is a very dense heavy type cake that holds up to the pressure!

JenniferMI Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 10

I use regular ole cake mixes.... nothing added. They hold up wonderful to my choc. fondant! A thin layer of fondant is the key I think.... less weight on the cake.

Jen icon_smile.gif

biancas_mommy Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 10

the durable cake recipes and the wasc (white almond sour cream), both can be found in the recipes section here, are great for fondant and for stacked cakes. dense, hold up well, but moist and yummy, too.

leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 10

Nothing special. Just whatever cake I'm making will work under fondant.

MegWinn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 10

I also like the 3D cake recipe on this site - very dense and moist. Also, the cake mix doctor recipes (my favorite is the orange cake that almost has a pound cake density) are pretty good. If you want to control the shape of your cake you really need a nice dense cake.

VickiChicki Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #7 of 10

I think Pound Cakes are the absolute best for holding up under fondant, but I have covered less dense cakes as well, but just roll the fondant a bit thinner.

MegWinn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyFireMummy

mudcake is great under fondant...it is a very dense heavy type cake that holds up to the pressure!

YummyFireMummy, what recipe do you use for your mudcake? Would you care to share?
Thanks!

KoryAK Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #9 of 10

any cake. i hear this question often and think man just how thick are you guys rolling out this fondant?! lol

calynmom Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #10 of 10

I agree with Jennifer. Make sure your fondant is a thin layer or you will have bubbles and it will sag.

Make sure your cake very flat on top.

hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%