Air Pocket In Fondant!! Help!

Decorating By dennishaskins Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 11:52am by sweetviolent

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 6

i have worked with fondant many many times and never ever have i had it create an air pocket in the side.. i layed the fondant last night and started to decorate it. then i turn the cake and notice there is and air pocket that formed while decorating... i tried to punch a hole in the side of it and squeeze the air out but it just keeps coming back! has anyone else had this happen if so what do i do?! i've already made this cake once before this one and i REALLY dont want to have to do it again.. i have a wedding cake due on saturday and this one is due on sunday!!! aaaahhhh!

5 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 6

If your fondant isn't to dry you can try lifting the fondant from the bottom and forcing the air out as you re-lay the fondant. Other than that you may have to re fondant unless you can hide that spot with a decoration of some sort.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 6

Did you use a really fresh cake? Sometimes gases are released from a cake and can form air pockets.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 6

Usually they form when you have not pressed the fondant down against the cake enough.
Use a pin from the underside and press the air out by smoothing the fondant against the cake.
It happens to the best of them so don't get too upset. Hopefully you can use some decoration over it to hide the pinhole.

dennishaskins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennishaskins Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #5 of 6

thanks, i was able to get it out... my biggest problem though was that i had already started to decorate it and it is a jack daniels bottle so there wasnt anyway i could decorate over the trouble spot.. needless to say i had to punch a couple holes in it and then use royal icing to patch it... you can definitely tell there was some sort of issue there though.. oh well, at least this cake was for a friend and not a paying client! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:52am
post #6 of 6

is it small? honestly small pockets occur frequently - alot of people instruct to use a clean pin and just poke a hole in the pocket and smooth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%