Using Lemon Curd With Bc And Other Filling Questions

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm by cake-angel

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for tomorrow and was thinking about filling one layer with lemon curd. I'm not sure if the flavor would be too strong alone so I thought I'd add it to buttercream. Is that a good idea? If so, what should the ratios be?

Also, I might wind up with three layers (it looks too short with two). I'm thinking of doing a raspberry or maybe apricot filling for the other layer. What do you think of those combinations in terms of flavor? Finally, if I use raspberry jam, would I need to strain the seeds out?

Finally, if anyone is interested, Alton Brown has the BEST lemon curd recipe on FoodTV.com. It's right up there with all of the lemon curd I've ever had at fancy tea parties.

Thanks everyone.

3 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 4

Hi!! I don't think that lemon curd would be too much on its own as a filling! I have used it many times! My most complimented cakes have been torted so there was room for three layers of filling (4 layers of cake) and filled with homemade raspberry filling then, homemade lemon curd and then raspberry(on a white cake). It was frosted with vanilla buttercream (icing sugar type). So yes Raspberry and lemon go fabulously together. The sweetness of the cake and icing balanced everything out perfectly!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks CakeAngel. I originally planned on two tiers but now wish I had torted it. icon_biggrin.gif Sounds great. I think I'll go with lemon curd and raspeberries.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 4

It sounds delicious! Just remember to use a good stiff dam to keep the curd where it belongs!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%