Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Deepa Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm by dandelion56602

Deepa Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #1 of 7

Im making miniture ornaments from fondant and would like to know how do I paint over it to give it a painted effect? I also need to know how do I give the fondant a glossy look once Im complete shaping the ornaments? Any help will be grately appreciated.

6 replies
Solecito Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 7

To make it shine I brushe the dried fondant with the tiniest amount of water.

montana618 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 7

I use a little clear Vanilla mix with food coloring. It's sticky until it dries but it gives it a good look.

tastyart Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

I've brushed colorflow designs with corn syrup before to give them a high-gloss shine. I've never thried it on fondant but it might be worth a try.

michellesArt Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 7

i painted on fondant before and just used the smallest bit of water and colour paste and painted just like paper-it can get a bit sticky so be careful

sweetflowers Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7

I've painted on fondant a lot. I wait until the fondant is dry. Then I use food color (paste or gel or petal dusts) mixed with either lemon extract or clear alcohol(gin or vodka). This is because the alcohol will evaporate quickly. Be careful, because too much painting can cause your sugar to dissolve (and the alcohol will remove color too!).

Once done, you can cover with confectioner's glaze or I have used a corn syrup/alcohol mix (half and half) to glaze over. It takes a little time to dry, but is shiney! I did the bamboo on the oriental lady in my pics with that mixture.

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 7

To paint I use vodka w/ food color mixed in. I'll have to try the corn syrup & vodka for a glaze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%