Ganache...what Did I Do Wrong??

Decorating By Briniga Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm by Briniga

Briniga Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 8

I poured ganache with an icing bag...what am I doing wrong?
LL

7 replies
mboyle Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #2 of 8

It looks like the ganache is too thick. Did you cool it too long. Was the consistency ever thin?

mamajan61 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 8

That's exactly what it looks like.... maybe it got too cool. Consistency is the key... It has to be just right for pouring/spreading

chinadoll652003 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:35am
post #4 of 8

It looks too thick to me. Whenever I've made ganache it just pours right over my cakes.

What did you use to make it? Are you sure you used enough cream?

bigmama1961 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:35am
post #5 of 8

hun it looks thick, first what did you use to make your ganach? i use wilton choco and whipping cream.place in pan on low heat or double boiler,heat till choco is melted stir constantly..if its to thick add little more cream than pour over cake .if you are trying to get the drip look just place in bag and do a wave up and down all the way around the cake edge and then fill in top.hope this helps

wgoat5 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:26am
post #6 of 8

here is some info I think you would would be interested in ...

A general guideline for making ganache. To make a glaze or coating: 1 part cream to 3 parts chocolate. To make a truffle filling: 1 part cream to 2 parts chocolate. To make a light filling: 1 part cream to 1 part chocolate. Ganache is widely used in the pastry kitchen. When barely warm and liquid ganache can be poured over a cake or torte for a smooth and shiny glaze. If cooled to room temperature it becomes a spreadable filling and frosting. Refrigerated ganache can be whipped for fillings and frostings or formed into truffles.

HerBoudoir Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 8

It also looks like your ganache may have seized, which can happen if you get a little water in the chocolate at the wrong stage or overheat the chocolate.

What recipe did you use for ganache?

Christi, I would actually use more of a 2 to 1 chocolate to heavy cream mix to do a poured ganache.

Briniga Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 8

Oh ok, its too think, so I will try it again...ok stupid question, what does "part" of something mean? Like 1 part cream, like u said?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%