Instructions For Gel Butterflies

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm by dogluvr

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have instructions on how to make gel butterflies. I couldn't get to Michelle Stidham's class in MD this past weekend for her class. I would love it anyone has her instructions.......thanks.

15 replies
jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 16

Are you referring to the ones that she "painted" onto a plastic sheet? If so, I saw her doing it at her table. She took a mixture of gelatin, water and coloring and brushed it on the butterfly template. She then put a wire on it and said you have to let it dry, like almost overnight. the next day you can go back and just slide it off, trim off the rough edges and you're done, or you can add dusts or color w/food coloring pens etc. Very cool. The plastic sheets are not available yet.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 16

I was in her butterfly class on Sunday and these are so simple to do! You need the plastic sheets (I have the butterfly one and they are to ship the flowers and leaves to me this week - you could probably contact her to get the sheets - $7 each at the show).

You take 1 Tbsp gelatin and mix with 2 Tbsp water and let set. Heat this mixture in the microwave and color if desired. Using a paintbrush, apply the mixture to the sheet and let dry 4 - 6 hours. The butterflies will just pop off the sheet. As the previous poster said you can can trim the butterfly, then add accents. We applied a very thin amount of piping gel around the sides and dipped in disco dust - really gave it alot of sparkle!. Then we piped a body with RI (you could also use GP), let dry, and you have your butterfly. We didn't use wires in the class but you would if you want it to 'float' off the cake.

Hope this made sense. PM me if you would like clarifications.

dogluvr Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 16

Thank you so much...I will see if I can find the sheets. Do you have her email address...if so, can you pm it to me....otherwise I'll go thru ICES to get it....thanks again.......I am so mad I coulnd't attend that class. I did her brush embroiderly classes and they were really good........

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 16

I'm sure if you contact Diane Simmons at her new shop (she's selling the sheets, etc.), she'll be happy to help you.

I ordered the sheets and was given a set of instructions when I did so.

http://cakeconnection.com/

Rae

dogluvr Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 16

Thank you Rae...I just sent her an email.......I can't wait to try the butterfly's........

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 16

Is that how Michele did her dragonflies on her daisy wedding cake? They were soooo coool!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #8 of 16

Why couldn't you have the outline of the butterfly printed on regular white paper, then lay a piece of acetate or one of those sheets used for transparencies for an overhead projector over the white paper, then paint on that.

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #9 of 16

The sheets are like texture sheets with deep outlines of the objects (butterflies, flowers, and leaves) embedded in them. When you paint on the gelatin mix, you have enough depth to insert very fine 30-33 gauge wires in them. Also, with the texture on the sheet, the gelatin has something to grab onto, so it doesn't shrink and clump unevenly.

Once they dry, you also have clear perimeter lines so that you can cut out the object and retain the proper size & proportion.

Because the result is more 2-3 dimensional, you get a more realistic product compared to a flat tracing.

Rae

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:39am
post #10 of 16

Iam with you leahs if you try let me know if it works this will save money.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:41am
post #11 of 16

I am in Texas and I would really like to learn how to do this is their a tutorial
anywhere this sounds so cool.

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #12 of 16

. . . can anyone attach a picture . . . I would love to see the finished product . . .

dogluvr Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 16

I have a picture saved on my hard drive but don't know how to attach it here....pm me your email and I'll send it to you

dogluvr Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 16

Are these plastic sheets edible?

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #15 of 16

Well, no, no reason for the plastic sheets to be edible. They're re-usable, just like plastic chocolate molds.

The gelatin items are edible if they don't have wires or stamens (for the antennas) in them, or aren't colored with something inedible or toxic. You can make the bodies out of piped royal, fondant, or gum paste.

HTH
Rae

dogluvr Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 16

ok, thanks, Rae....I wasn't quite understanding the plastick sheets....but now I'm seeing the picture...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%