Mid-Atlantic Cake Show, We Won!! Best Of Division!

Decorating By Cakenicing4u Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm by Cakenicing4u

Cakenicing4u Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 20

Had to do two rows of smiles, for there are two smiling bakers here! My bosslady, Lorraine entered two cakes into the tasting division, and won second place for her scratch chocolate cake-- and first with her cheesecake.... we were jumping up and down with excitement-- then they announced that she won BEST OF DIVISION for the cheesecake, and that came with cash and prizes of almost $500!! It's really something because I had to twist her arm to get her to enter anything, and I think she only did it cause I entered the wedding cake competition! thumbsdown.gif I was way way outclassed and underprepared and exhausted, but still had a good time!

I'm sure that pictures will surface, I even caught NICHOLAS LODGE taking a picture of my cake! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif I got brave and asked him to come over and critique my cake, and he DID! He spent about ten minutes going over my cake top to bottom telling me what worked and what didn't! icon_eek.gif I was just blown away by how nice the celebrities were-- I even got my picture with Norm Davis from the Sweet Life!! I took two classes and learned a lot, sat through demos, learned more, attended the night of sharing and enjoyed it... basically, I enjoyed everything! And I got a few toys too! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Next year, they are going to split it into TWO shows, one in VA and one in MD. THis show was THE largest in the USA based on the # of wedding cake entries! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Next year-- I'll be readier!

19 replies
diane Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #2 of 20

wow...that's great! congrats!
they must have been some great tasting cakes!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:50am
post #3 of 20

You know, I totally did not know there was going to be a cake tasting segment, otherwise I would have baked and entered something. I skipped over the contests because I figured that 1. I didn't have time to design and decorate anything and 2. I am a far better baker than I am a decorator.

Rematch next year? icon_wink.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 20

I love your cake balls icon_wink.gif asking NL to critique, what an experience that must have been! icon_eek.gif

carterl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 20

CONGRATULATIONS! How wonderful and exciting for you ladies. Would you be willing to share your recipes for your tasty creations? I'm always on the lookout for a good chocolate cake recipe. I think Keith Ryder was still drooling over that cheesecake, ha ha.
I am sad that they're splitting the cake show into two shows. I think that combining the MD, VA, and D.C. areas was so special. The talent in that room was insane!! I too didn't enter a cake in the contest for lack of time and after seeing the other cakes, was glad that I didn't. But next year, I will spend some real quality time and give a go at it. Long live the Mid Atlantic region cake decorators! Wherever we end up, these decorators are some of the most talented, generous, and kindest people you can meet. Makes me proud to be a small part of this group icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 20

Hi Cakenicing!

Congrats on the win - wish I could have tasted these confections!

By the way everyone - Cakenicing was not 'outclassed' (I'm the one who threatened to 'hit' you every time you said that). The cake was amazing and alot of great techniques used - good for you to have grabbed NL to get the critique. Would love to hear from you what a judge looks at.

Can't wait to see what you do next year.

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 20

Congratulatins!!!!....I wish I could have gone!!

melvin01 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 20

That's just great! Very inspirational for all of us who don't think we would ever do well in something like this.

Keep up the good work and I'm sure you got some great feedback on your cake.

I, too, would love to see the receipe for both the choc. cake and the cheesecake if your boss is willing to share. Understandable if not.

becky27 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 20

congratulations!!! what excitement!!! that was a happy day!!!!!

beachcakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 20

Congrats on the win!!

cakenicing - which one was yours? I wanna see!!

weirkd Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 20

Hey Diane!
Im glad your friend won in the cheesecake division. That must of felt amazing!
So how did your cake fair trying to bring it out in that messy weather? I havent even taken mine out of my van yet for fear to look at the damage!
But it was fun entering again and really nice to see such amazing work. I really like Michele Stidmans daisy cake. I think her cake was more detailed than Diane Gibbs peacock cake. I really think they should of given second to Diane and first to Michele. But thats just me!

joeycakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 20

Congratulations on your win!!!

The show was fantastic this year! It was my first time attending and my first time entering! I can't believe I got the nerve to enter, but did and to my surprise, took third in my division! I feel soooooo fortunate, I just starting decorating approximately 8 months ago and have taken at least 10 classes from Diane Gibbs (Wedding Cake Division Winner). She is the greatest teacher, mentor and friend!

I was on a sugar high all weekend! The show was great! I was there from beginning to end both days and was chosen to walk with the wedding cake judges while they were judging to keep fans away!!!! First with Toba, then Collette! I still canât stop smiling!

weirkd Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 20

Which divison were you in joeycakes? And which cake was yours?

joeycakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 20

I entered intermediate - special techniques and I just posted a picture!
~ Leaha

weirkd Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 20

Ok, so you had the stringwork cake?

joeycakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 20

No, I think the stringwork took first. Mine was the brush embroidery jewelry box with the gp peonies and roses.

weirkd Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #17 of 20

Oh! Ok! I misunderstood. I didnt see your jewelry box there. Its very beautiful! What place did you take?

joeycakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 20

3rd, but I was super excited b/c I just started my interest in cake decoarting 8 months ago!!! icon_smile.gif

Price Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 20

congratulations joeycakes, your win was well deserved! As a matter of fact, congratulations to all who placed at the show and anyone who entered a cake. Believe me, I know how much work it is. All of the cakes were beautiful, and I would have loved to be a judge in the tasting division!

Cakenicing4u Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks again snowshoes... you kept me from beating myself up all weekend! Now that the cake is back in the shop, I feel like gold because it's one of the nicest on display.. but at the show against the real pros, it just didn't shine. I do not have a single picture of the cake. My friend and bosslady took the pictures she's going to get me a set and I ordered a professional one to have for posterity.

Anyone who has pictures-- check with the moderators, there's a album for the mid-atlantic cake show, so you may be able to post them there.

As for the mess leaving in the rain with 100 other crazy cake people, UGH. I went to put it in the car quickly and it hit a bump and the top two tiers went flying-- Every single celtic knot shattered and I lost some of the braid and the flowers too... It's just never going to be the same, but I salvaged enough pieces to be able to fix it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%