Cake Sculpters Please Help Me With Boot :)

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm by Kitagrl

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 9

Here is a pic of the hiking boot I have to do.

Now granted I don't have someone to build me anything so beware.. I have to just try to support it without a wooden base or anything screwed into anything... I don't think that should be a problem because it's not as high as a cowboy boot.. but..

How would you all do it?

They need it to serve 30.

I have the chocolate fondant so that's not a problem..

but construction wise .. how would you do it?

Also doesn't look like I'd have to let anything dry on this thing.. do you think? I mean nothing that I would need GP for.

Thanks a lot .. looking forward to your help icon_smile.gif

8 replies
wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 9

oops forgot the pic LOL
LL

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 9

Are you doing both boots as shown, or just one boot? One boot would be a cinch ~ just bake an 11x15 or something similar and carve away, adding more layers to the back part, maybe supporting the higher layer(s) if you are making the ankle part higher than 4". If you are doing both as shown, I would highly recommend something strong and stable for the higher boot to be placed upon. You might could get a small piece of wood from a craft store, maybe 5x8", 1/4" thick, to rest that cake on, and dowel it on the other cake. Does that make sense?

Doug is really the expert on this stuff. You might want to PM him.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks Starkie .. I need all the luck I can get.. LOL

Nope just 1 boot though... They don't need that much cake.

Thanks for the quick response icon_biggrin.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 9

Since you don't need a lot of cake, and if you are doing only one boot, this would actually be pretty simple to do. I'd bake a couple ovals for the foot part or one square that I'd cut in half lengthwise and stack the halves. Then I'd bake some small rounds for the ankle part. Just remember though - if it's over four or five inches tall, it must be doweled just like a regular stacked cake!

Deanna

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 9

I would also bake at least 2 9x13 stacked and either a 6 or 7" round. If you have an oval shaped cake pan that would even be better. After filling them I would stack the round cake on top of the 9x13's as close as possible to one edge as you can. Refrigerate overnight so they are nice and firm. Start carving to achieve the shape of the boot. When it comes down to the heel just cut an indent on either side to give the appearance of a heel, that is if you don't want to make any special elevated support. I would wrap the larger portion of the shoe first with the darker shoe tip and ankle collar to overlap.

HTH - Good Luck!

wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Deanne.. I am going to carve the foot part of the oval pans icon_smile.gif .. and do some 5 inch cakes for the ankle..I think I will put a cake board under 1 of the rounds and dowell going through the whole thing..

icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

Wow I didn't see your post Noosie!! Thanks !!! I will especially need the fondant advise!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 9

All good stuff! For stability as well I'd tape together at least 4 cardboards and then you can sharpen a dowel and hammer it down through the cake AND the boards. Also refrigerate for delivery.

Also, I would personally probably only make the cake up to where the colors change shades...the top part can be a thick round of fondant to give the appearance of the shoe being "open". Maybe as you work on crumb coating the cake one afternoon, get our your fondant and make the ankle part (mix in some tylose for stability if you have it?) after you get the cake shape carved.... and let it sit to dry somewhat. Maybe put some toothpicks in it or something. Then, when you go to fondant the cake, you will have that part already firmed up for the ankle and you can add that using the toothpicks or some royal icing, and then add the laces last. You can use stitching and/or a strip of the other shade of brown to hide the seam between the actual cake, and the fondant ankle part. With the cake being smaller, (how many servings?) That ankle part isn't going to be nearly as big as you may be picturing it right now.

Can't wait to see this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%