Rum Cake And ????

Decorating By sweetflowers Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm by TheButterWench

sweetflowers Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 11

Please, I've never made a rum cake and I'm stumped as to what flavor frosting and filling to do. I was going to do rolled butter cream frosting but should I make it rum flavored too? Has anyone ever done a rum cake!?!

I'd really like it to be good since it's for our priest's 25th anniversary.

TIA

10 replies
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 11

I usually just use a plain vanilla buttercream with a butter rum cake, but once somebody requested chocolate and it was actually pretty good...

Chef_Stef Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 11

Don't forget coconut or pineapple flavor with rum, especially coconut...YUM!

I also have a recipe for white chocolate eggnog mousse that has rum in it that is wonderful, but a little "holiday" flavored for this time of year.

Petit-four Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 11

I've used Rum Apricot Walnut filling with rum cakes...

sweetflowers Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 11

Wow, all those sound yummy! Is rum what is in a pina colada? So would you make the frosting rum flavored too? Or just vanilla or match the filling flavor? I don't want too many flavors to conflict, but I don't want too much rum (it is our church!!)

KoryAK Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 11

mmm cream cheese icing

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 11

I had this problem last month ... bride owned a bar, the receptoin was in a bar, and they wanted a rum cake. CC'ers to my rescue with good tips and ideas!

I ended up picking up a jar of Smucker apricot-pineapple preserves and the bride LUV'D it! So that's what we went with.

Edited to add: I microwaved the preserves just a few seconds ... just enough to warm it and thin it a little bit for easier spreading.

morgnscakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #8 of 11

We do a lot of rum cakes...the most commonly requested filling and icing is either vanilla or strawberry. We have used buttercream for the filling, as well as strawberry preserves. Chocolate, as well as pineapple and coconut pair nicely with rum. But I can say, with this being for the church, I would say vanilla or strawberry. Happy baking!!!

maryjsgirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 11

Banana would be yummy also.

sweetflowers Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all so much! I just didn't know so many things went with rum!
I guess my family will do a taste test and I'll post the pic.

Thanks again!

TheButterWench Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 11

I have been asked to do a Haitian/Creole Rum cake.

It's made with a rum called Barbancourt Rhum and I have no idea how.

I googled and nothing.

ugh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%