300 Eggs??

Lounge By Auryn Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm by cookingfor5

Auryn Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 12

This happened to me friday afternoon, I thought it was funny.

I keep chickens- 12 to be exact plus 2 roosters, so I usually end up with at least 4 to 6 dozen eggs per week.
I put a little sign out in front of the house that says 'fresh eggs for sale' hoping that some of the people that visit my neighbor's nursery might be interested in buying. Well sales have been nice and steady- I make no money but it covers the ever rising cost of the feed for the birds.

About 2 weeks ago someone left a note in the mailbox while noone was home saying that he needed to buy eggs to please call.
Well I finally called him fri afternoon (we went camping last weekend)
the guy's friend owns a bakery and wants to buy 300 eggs (he might have said 300 dozen im not sure, my brain had a coniption after the number 300)

he was very disappointed when I explained that I only had a few birds.

I just thought that was funny. thats a whole lot of eggs

11 replies
pjmw Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 12

Your hens better get busy! My grandma had chickens and I understand your shock!

beccakelly Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 12

its not too surprising if he owns a bakery. i order 250-300 eggs each month from a local farm. i'm sure they have more than 12 birds though! lol. its good that he is looking for a better source for eggs than the ones you get in bulk from most restaurant supplies. it shows he cares.

dinas27 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 12

I had about 100 laying hens when I was in high school. Usually 7+ dozen a day without the cracks that my family consumed. 300 would have been easy... 300 dozen on the other hand is a lot.

I was very lucky in that my mom works at a hospital... she took them to work everyday and they disappeared. Now that was only 5 years ago but I was selling them for $1.25 a doz CANADIAN!

I'm starting to think that laying hens is a lucrative business!

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 12

I go thru that many a week.

Auryn Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #6 of 12

holy cow
thats a whole lot of eggs indydebi

how did you manage to take care of so many birds while you went to school??

pjmw- my boyfriend suggested I play military marches for them on a stereo- get them motivated to lay more hehehe

honestly- after 5 months of fresh eggs to do my baking with, I refuse to eat eggs outside of my house and I refuse to bake with sore bought eggs
its amazing the difference

dinas27 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #7 of 12

actually its probably not much more work than taking care of 12. I had self feeders and waterers and used a feeder for my oyster shells and a bucket for gravel. The worst was the winter... gets down to -40C and lower so I would carry warm water from the house in the morning. I had my light on a timer in the winter so that they would lay before I went to school, picked eggs first thing and put them in the fridge, wash later when I got home. So long as there was fresh straw eggs were always pretty clean.

I know what you mean about fresh eggs... I can't wait to get out of the city! My husband and I are just buying 80 ac back home in saskatchewan! Now if only this blasted weather would stop, we've had 25cm of snow over the last three days and its not stopping.

nikki72905 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:35am
post #8 of 12

That is funny.

However, I buy two to three dozen at a time for a week (sometimes I wish I had a chicken or two, and a cow because my dh goes through a gallon or two a day - This has gotten better since he has become a truck driver, but none the less - he still consumes a lot when he is home) We are trying to buy more organic (I like the taste better) I buy one gallon of organic milk per week for me, and buy him regular, I told him if he could get to the point of drinking 2 or 3 gallons a week I would start buying him organic milk.

But now on to the eggs of the matter -
is fresh eggs like organic eggs. I love organic eggs, However, they are so expensive I only get them once in a great while. I wish I knew someone around where I live that sold fresh eggs. I would love to see what that was like, they would probably break and seperate like a charm!

Auryn Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:27am
post #9 of 12

that is pretty smart
ive thought about doing the self feeders and waterers but its more trouble than its worth with such few birds

nikki- I consider my eggs to be organic in that the birds get no hormones, no antibiotics, no chemicals of any type, they spend several hours each day free ranging and being normal chickens, their feed has no animal protein in it.

I will take a picture of one of the fresh eggs next to a store bought egg for you- the difference in amazing

pjmw Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:16am
post #10 of 12

Alright, y'all are making me miss my family farm! There is nothing better than home raised. I have a friend with farm connections who is going to hook me up with eggs for graduation cake season. I can't wait to see the difference in baking with fresh eggs again!

7yyrt Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:27am
post #11 of 12

Wow, 300 eggs is a lot to ask of a backyard flock.

My 5 lovely ladies usually lay 4 eggs a day, one lady is honorably retired. They could do 100 in most non-winter months, so possibly your 12 could do 300 in a month... But who would want month-old eggs? (Granted, store-bought eggs are allowed to be in cold storage for up to 2 months, but still...)

cookingfor5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 12

I agree that the fresh eggs are great. We get them from my DH's uncle. He is retired and this is a hobby for him. I do not use them in my baking because we are lucky to get a dozen every other week. I save them for my own breakfast. We have the green kind, which is so cute. He use to have the easter chickens that layed 3 different colored eggs. I wasn't brought up on a farm, but find it odd that others are afraid of these eggs and look at me like I am crazy for having them in my fridge. I think if they thought they were in their cookies, they wouldn't eat them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%