Help W/ Mmf/fondant Engagement Ring Cake

Decorating By micnmax2003 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm by noosie

micnmax2003 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 2

am planning on making a engagement ring cake for this upcoming weekend and have not received replies to my pm's .....can anyone provide me with how to's for this cake?

I have already made 2-9" square WASC cakes (frozen) and am unsure if I could use fondant panels or have to cover the cake w/ fondant (could I use MMF?) As for the ring how lrg should it be for the cake and do I need to use wire or dowel to insert it? For the actual ring do I use RI to glue the gems to the band?
Finally how long will it take for the MMF/fondant to dry & when do I paint it w/ luster dust? I plan on making IMBC tomorrow & putting it in the fridge until I assemble the cake Sat. night (shower is Sun) and was going to make the MMF/fondant tomorrow & sculpt & roll it to dry...does this sound like enough time?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Marisa icon_smile.gif

1 reply
noosie Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 2

Hey Marisa,

I went over to the cakegirls website to get a closer look at their cake. If I were making it, I would make the ring at least 6" in diameter from side to side and about 3" from top of cake to bottom of ring. I would also make the ring out of a thick rope of gumpaste and drape over an inverted 6" bowl at least 3-4 days in advance. I would not count on MMF drying out in time given the thickness of the ring. You may want to insert either skewers or straws at both ends of the gumpaste rope prior to drying to allow for stability once inserted in the cake. You could definitely use RI to attach jewels. If the jewels are to be made of MMF or gumpaste you can even get away with using a bit of water before it drys out.

HTH - Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%