Did I Charge The Right Price?

Decorating By jkjmoore79 Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm by chutzpah

jkjmoore79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkjmoore79 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 12

I made a wedding cake this past weekend for a friend. I gave her a price and she ran with it. I have never charged for a wedding cake so I had know idea where to start. I think the local bakery's around here are crazy. So I would never compare my prices to theres. The whole thing took forever. Welll the roses did. I charged $600.00. Was this right? There is a 16in, 14in, and six 8in cakes. All the flowers are gumpaste. And the wohole cake is coverd in satin ice fondant.
LL

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 12

I can't help you with a price because I only do cakes for friends and family and avoid wedding cakes if I can. You may want to include the sizes of the cakes you made and/or the serving amounts since that is a big part of the pricing. Are those fondant/gumpaste roses? Cake covered in Fondant?

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 12

I charge by servings, this cake would serve 245 so for me that would be $735 ($3 a serving for fondant) so with the friend discount that looks about right icon_smile.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 12

Why can't you charge the same as the bakeries around your area if you're doing the same type of work?

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 12

I would never compare my prices to the local bakeries either. I charge way more. I don't and won't do assembly-line cakes.

I can't see the pic, but at 245 servings I would have charged minimum $2700, not including the roses. But like I said, I can't see the pic, so I'm not sure how much extra I would charge for the decorations.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 12

(wondering where you are that you get $10+/serving not including decorations)

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 12

oh, and I just noticed that the OP is in my town. and you can and should charge decent prices this is a suburb of DC!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:32am
post #8 of 12

the average bakery prices are cheap...and the taste doesn't compare to ours. i would charge by the slice and if it was fondant covered and also if you made your own flowers. don't sell yourself short. your cake is beautiful! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:01am
post #9 of 12

that cake looks amazing! I hope that the price was right because it's gorgeous!

are those cakes the large tier is "standing" on? it's really pretty! excellent job.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:20am
post #10 of 12

The cake is beautiful! I charge $4.00 per serving and for 245 servings that would be $980.00. I would charge at least $75.00 for the flowers. You did a wonderful job and I am sure your friend loved it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:54am
post #11 of 12

I can't say for price, sorry....but I DO know beauty and skill, and this cake is evidence of both!! Wow!! I love the design of the smaller cakes being the pedestal for the tiers - really nice idea!! thumbs_up.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 12

NOW I can see the cake! (at the other computer) Lovely flowers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%