Gum Paste Drying

Decorating By love2frost Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm by homemaluhia

love2frost Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 6

I used gum paste for the first time to make some angel figures for the top of a cake. I was expecting it to dry hard over night and they haven't. It's been 48 hours and it's still tacky. Any ideas of what happened or what I did wrong?

5 replies
peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 6

a lot of the time it depends on the humidity in the air, and how big the piece is that you are trying to dry.

Yesterday and the mid atlantic cake show it was raining so hard that all my flowers turned soft and they had been well dried for months

tiptop57 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 6

How big is the piece?

You must have made it thick. I use gumpaste all the time for my sculptures and some pieces take a months to dry properly, but I am sure they are all tons bigger then your piece. Put a fan on it and flip it. Do you live in high humidity? if so, make sure it isn't in a damp place to dry. I bet it is ready to go by tomorrow. icon_wink.gif

Here is my latest sugar sculpture....... Sacred Heart III

Edited to add note after ready Peg818: Buy some silca gel packets to pack your pieces in so they keep you flowers and sculpted pieces dry.
LL

death_by_frosting Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

I too am trying out gumpaste for the first time. It is scary to find out that gumpaste items can become soft after they have already dried out due to the humidity. peg818 thank you for sharing that info. thumbs_up.gif I'm sorry that this happened to you, I'm sure you spent serious amounts of time only to have a mess. icon_sad.gif I hope you were able to save some of your flowers. dogheaven3 good luck with your angel.

peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Edited to add note after ready Peg818: Buy some silca gel packets to pack your pieces in so they keep you flowers and sculpted pieces dry.

The gel packets wouldn't have helped the flowers didn't totally melt but were soft the petals able to move just like a real flower, and they were on the cake at the show, it just was raining cats and dogs. The topper that i packed in a box by its self hardened back up just fine good as new.

homemaluhia Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 6

Gum paste can take a very long time to harden, especially if it is humid or there is "cooking moisture" in the area. Here in Hawaii, I can have an almost hard piece and it will rain and the piece will be totally limp.

I have the closet size moisture remover but on some days even that doesn't help.

I leave it for a week, untouched.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%