"painting" A Cake Board

Decorating By KaraCakes Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm by tiptop57

KaraCakes Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 4

I have seen on TV (like Ace of Cakes) and other places where they "paint" the cake board to look like wood. How is this done? They have also painted fondant like wood. What is used? And how? I know you guys know this secret.

3 replies
tiptop57 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to the board!

Here is a wood grain tute for you. http://www.ladycakes.com/woodgrain_board.htm

KaraCakes Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 4

That was very helpful, and I will definitely use it... however, it's not really what I was asking. I have seen where they just paint on color with a paintbrush, and it looks like wood just by how the color is lighter and darker shades from being brushed on. They don't actually texture the fondant at all. It's all with color. Now from what I can tell, I might get this same effect just by using the Americolors and mixing them with alcohol. Do you agree?

tiptop57 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 4

Karacakes - they did use a paint brush with food color and brush on this fondant. As for the Ace of Cakes, I don't watch it so I am not sure what you mean by painting the board, as I use fondant on all my boards and I would paint on the wood grain as in the tute I provided. Also you may want to check out Colette Peters books I know one of her recent ones has a wood box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%