New Here, Wonder If Anyone Can Help Me

Decorating By lauramillie Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm by bashini

lauramillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramillie Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 8

Hi.

I am new to cake decorating and am wanting to possibly make a 3D character to go on my daughters 1st birthday cake.. I'm just wondering what sort of icing is used and if I need to make it in advance or when I make the cake..

i thought I could just use this type of icing

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Regalice-Lilac-Sugarpaste-250g.html

But have been told that this icing can't be used to make 3D toppers so now I am confused lol

Thanks in advance
Laura

7 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to CC!

I believe that is straight fondant and you will want something stronger as fondant alone is very, very fragile.

If you can purchase some tylose powder to add to the fondant that would give it added strength, otherwise try straight gumpaste which would be the best material to use.

HTH

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 8

Hi!
I have just joined CC for the same reason! icon_biggrin.gif My DD's 1st Bday is on the 2nd May, when's yours?
As TipTop says Fondant would be the best thing for modeling stuff out of, although marzipans an option.

Good luck!
Shola
XXX

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, you can use fondant, but as tiptop said, it might crumble. You will definately need tylose powder, or, do as I do and kneed 50/50 fondant/gumpaste together and then mold it. It will be very sturdy then. There is a recipe for gumpaste in the recipe section here on CC...

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with tiptop and Sarsi - you'll need to strenghen your fondant with either Tylose powder or mix in some gumpaste with your fondant (a combination of 50/50 or you can even use 60%fondant to 40% gumpaste).

Welcome to the board. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here as so many talented people who are willing to share knowledge are members. Enjoy!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 8

Welcome to CC! I certainly agree with the ladies. If you are going to buy tylose powder/ CMC powder ( both are the same ), mix 1/2 teaspoon of this powder to 250g of fondant. That's how I make it when I want to do figures.

Good Luck!

lauramillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramillie Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone I have found somewhere to buy CMC so am going to give that a go.

How long do I need to leave the toppers to dry for? my DDs birthday is 3rd of may so just wondering when to make them.

I'm loving this site, theres some gorgeous cakes in the galleries!

Laura

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 8

When I make the modelling paste ( Fondant + CMC ) I leave over night and then the next day I take some of it and knead it. It will be a bit crumbly but you just have to keep on kneading until it becomes soft and strechy.

I always make the topper a week in advance. So it has more time to dry properly.

A good tip is that, when you make this paste, make it in white and you can color it when ever you want with what ever the color you want. You can make it and keep for a long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%