French Vanilla Mix?? Anyone Else Have Problems

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 1 May 2008 , 4:17am by Batter-UpBakery

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 17

I was just wondering if any of you have tried the DH French Vanilla? I attempted to use it 3 times already and EVERY time I did it stuck.... Nothing done different with any other doctored mix I use... I had 3 cakes going out this week and substitued a white with FV flavoring... just thought I would ask if anyone else has had this problem.

16 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 17

i just used it this weekend
except i added coconut milk and dried coconut to it on top of the 'wasc' doctoring

mine came out great- didnt stick at all
it is pretty crumbly though

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 17

I hate the french vanilla cake. I use DH mix only...except french vanilla that is. It is always sry and not very good at all.

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 17

i use DH french vanilla all the time - it's one of my most popular flavors.. i add pudding and a extra egg - works great every time! i just used it yesterday for a wedding cake tasting and the bride and groom loved it.. two of the four tiers on their cake will be french vanilla.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 17

I use FV all the time its my most popular flavor no problems here at all

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 17

i have used it and it came out ok but I prefer the BC french vanilla I normally use DH everything else except the french vanilla

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 17

I use it all the time, and everybody loves it. I use regular 1/1/1 pan grease and it comes out great...

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 17

hhmmmm... any chance I could have gotten 2 bad boxes, pulled them off the same shelf at the same time? I did those cake just like all the others and they stuck both times, once in a 6 inch round and once in 8 inch rounds.... weird... I think I will just stick to my current method of adding FV flavoring to my white batter.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 17

I had that happen last weekend, but I also forgot to flour the pan. It was heavily greased, and I thought it would be okay, but I had to rebake with white mix instead icon_sad.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 17

icon_redface.gif

SugarLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLand Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #11 of 17

this cake mix makes me angry! I quit with DH french vanilla!

DessertLover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertLover Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:37am
post #12 of 17

I really like using the DH French Vanilla cake mix with either a strawberry or raspberry filling. I doctor it by using milk instead of water, adding a SF small cheesecake instant pudding, and adding an egg. I've never had a problem with it sticking.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:38am
post #13 of 17

The last time I tried french vanilla I hated the flavor. It came out fine, just used to the plain white. I haven't used it since.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:45am
post #14 of 17

i didn't like the flavor either. i didn't have any complaints from anyone that i remember but i thought it was "chemically" or something. not natural. haven't tried it again. it came out of the pan fine though. i just used pan spray.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

I hate the french vanilla cake. I use DH mix only...except french vanilla that is. It is always sry and not very good at all.

Im with you . my daughter said the other mix tasted like playdoughicon_smile.gif
Dh taste the best i had a cake dilima once using two different FV mixes,

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #16 of 17

I use the french vanilla mix when I do a fruit filling and I never have a problem. Usually I substitue half the amount of oil with butter, though. I think the cake mix needs to dry out a bit, as I think the recipe makes it too moist, and even makes it taste funny. Secretly, I use a really good olive oil, no vegetable shortening stuff. I'm italian-israeli and there is NEVER cheap oil in my house!! Also, I use pam (no, i dont use the wilton cake magic thing) and some wax paper on the bottoms of the pans and it works fine for me. If you brush a simple syrup on the top of it made with good vanilla, the flavor should be really good. I get compliments all the time, and even a few recipe requests. No one knows it's a box cake.. I'd be a little bit embarassed if they found out ;0)

Jasmine

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #17 of 17

i have never had a problem with it, but i just us BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%