Complete Newbie Question On Stacking

Decorating By faithc24 Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm by faithc24

faithc24 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everybody. I seem to be picking up pace on wedding cakes by word of mouth and my question is 100% newbie question. icon_biggrin.gif On stacking iced cakes. I've so far only used cake boards between layers but my icing comes off the top from the bottom of the board when the cake it taken apart. Should I be placing a piece of parchmont? Should I place the dowels higher so it's not sitting right on the cake and ruining my icing. Is that safe construction? What do you'll do when stacking cakes on top of each other that are iced?

Thanks,
Tracy

4 replies
oliveoyle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

you can dust the spot where you place the cake circle with powdered sugar to help keep it from sticking HTH icon_smile.gif

Tiababe Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 5

It does sound as though your dowels might not be high enough. Are you cutting the dowels so they are the exact height of the bottom cake? I myself am a nervous nilly about using wooden dowels, despite reading how many people use them with no problem. I actually use the wider plastic dowel rods. Again...this is because I am a nervous nilly!!! I have read numerous times about a system that I believe is called SPS. If you did a search for that topic, somebody (????) gives a great in-depth description of this system.

vdrsolo Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 5

Bakery Craft SPS is WONDERFUL! Highly recommend it, I haven't used dowels in 2 years.

I use a crusting buttercream icing, I also sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar sometimes, but you can use parchment paper as well. Even when I haven't put anything in between, the icing did not lift off because I let it crust over first.

faithc24 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

thumbs_up.gif Thank-you! I will look that suggestion up and try the recipe on here for a good crusting buttercream icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%