Um... Okay... Anyone Know Why My Icing Changed Colors???

Decorating By DoniB Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm by Melvira

DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:00am
post #1 of 13

I promise... when I left the house yesterday to go do a Pampered Chef show, all of my icing was pastel. All of it. Even the green was just a light, springy green. The blue was a very pale blue.

Any clue what happened, that I came home to a dark Delphenium blue cake, with deep green vines and leaves??? I had to take the pink off entirely, because it went from baby pink to hot pink while I was gone.

Argh!!!! If anyone knows, please clue me in. I don't want this to happen again! Thankfully, this was just a practice cake, not an 'important' cake for family or friends! icon_razz.gif

12 replies
jen1977 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:03am
post #2 of 13

Did you color your icing right before you used it? Most colors will darken some as they sit.

DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 13

I colored it right before I did the blue, yes. But it was a very pale blue when I left it. I honestly didn't add that much color to it. I'm really not sure how it got that dark! LOL Same with the green. I added just a smidge. I was going for a really soft, pastel look... not this bright, bold color scheme. icon_razz.gif

Next time, I'll color well in advance, so I can change it if I need to.

I wonder if it could have been the heat or humidity yesterday? Do you think that would have caused the change??

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 13

Definately it is because you colored it just before using. As the other poster said, all colors will continue to darken some up to 24 hrs after coloring has been added. The more gel/paste used the more color will be absorb.
One other thing - if the color changes in the bag while you are piping it is from the heat of your hands. This happens to some people more than others because their hands are hotter than others. If this is a problem for you, make up 2 bags, keep one in the frig and change often - maybe as often as ever 3-5 minutes - before it has a chance to get warm and darken on you.

diane Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 13

icing gets darker as it sits. icon_wink.gif ...especially if it's in the light!

Erdica Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 13

What brand did you use to color the icing? I personally find that Wilton will dry a lot darker.

Melvira Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 13

This is a bonefied case of Icing Nymphs if I've ever seen one. You need to call an exterminator! Except, what they did was pretty... maybe you should let them hang around a while!

I know with certain Wilton colors they actually change colors... not shades, but actual colors! Like, from purple to blue!! Ugh, frustrating!

DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 13

I do use Wilton right now. It was a mix of Delphenium blue and Sky blue, and the color in the bowl was fantastic... a very light, Carolina blue. I've never had it do this before, and I've made those colors a number of times. Wah! icon_razz.gif

Ah well... I'll just have to make sure that I make it ahead of time next time. I'll remember that about the heat of my hands, too. It's so funny... most of the time -even in the heat of summer- my fingers are popsicles. Put an icing bag in my hand, and suddenly they are the surface of the sun. Figures! icon_razz.gif

Melvira, thanks! Icing nymphs, huh icon_eek.gif??? I'll have to keep an eye out. You'd think with four cats and two dogs, things like that wouldn't stand a chance! Thanks for the warning. Hey, do you know any exterminators that deal with those??? Can I pay 'em in cake? *grin* (ps... thanks! it didn't turn out like i wanted it to, but it's still not worth throwing in the trash.)

Melvira Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 13

Sorry Doni... those nymphs know how to lull the animals and sneak right past 'em! A big mouthful of icing will shut up most critters! icon_wink.gif

DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #10 of 13

*sigh* It's sad that they can be bought so easily, isn't it??? Ah well...

The funny thing is, our dog discovered the joy of cake and milk... we gave him a little piece of cake a few weeks ago, since he loves the cake tops so much, and then poured him a bowl of milk. His tail was wagging so hard, I thought it was going to knock him over! LOL Now, as soon as he's finished with a cake top or whatever, he goes to the fridge and looks at us, all cute and expectant, like, "Hey! Gotta wash it down! Get over here! MILK!!!!"

Silly puppy... icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #11 of 13

OMG, too cute!!! Or you can do like my gramma does, pour the milk over the cake! She doesn't want frosting or anything... just a hunk 'a cake with some milk poured on it! icon_rolleyes.gif

DoniB Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #12 of 13

oh nononononooooo... The cake and milk have to be separate sensations. First the cake. Milk may happen DURING cake, but not ON TOP OF cake.

Unless it's an oreo cake. Then the rules are kinda fuzzy...

Melvira Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 13

Hey, I don't blame you, I don't like milk on my cake... but I'm guessing the dog wouldn't be too upset! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%