Cake Sliding

Decorating By Woole2 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm by ShopGrl1128

Woole2 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 9

Where did I go wrong?? I made a 2-10" and 2-6"torted and had 3 layers of filling for each 10 and 6. I put 4 dowels thru the 10" layed my 6" with cardboard on top and then a few hours later the bottom cake was doing a mudslide? what happend??

Timeline:
Wens. baked cakes. cooled, wrap, freezer
Friday. took out of freezer thawed a little, filled then iced cakes still a little bit cold and then put back in fridge.
Sat all I had to do was construct it, added 4 dowels to bottom cake put 6" on top do the boarders and was done. I let it set out on table overnight since the filling didnt need to be in the fridge. Rasberry preserve.

8 replies
Tiababe Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 9

When I freeze my cakes I always let them thaw completely prior to icing/decorating. Condensation has been known to cause major cake drama in my kitchen!!

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 9

I'm going to guess too much filling. I had my first slider a few weeks ago and having to slam on the brakes aside, I believe I had too much red rasp filling, which contributed to the disaster.

What I've observed is when the cake is torted, bakers tend to (not always, but tend to) use the same amount of filling betweens the layers. For example, if you have just two 2" layers of cake with filling, the filling is about 1/4" deep (give or take). Logically, then, if you tort the cakes, you now have 1" layers of cake, so your filling should be only aboug 1/8" thick. But what I've seen is the baker use the same amount of filling .... probably just out of habit...... and the ratio of filling to cake is off, making the cake more "slickery" (as my granddaughter would say!).

Woole2 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 9

Good points Debi. I always for some reason double dam the cakes and then when I add my filling I dont put it to the top just a little below. I guess the cold from the fride was keeping it together till it sat out at room temp. I have another cake in the fridge that Just need to be constructed and Im affraid its going to do the same thing. Should I wait till cakes are completly thawed/room temp to start filling and fosting? I did notice that while my cake was very cold I was having a hard time to ice the cake as it seems the icing was freezing up and not wanting to stick to the cake.

indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 9

I sometimes crumb-coat the cakes when they are partially frozen. The final layer of icing goes on when the crumb coat crusts, so the cake is probably at least partially frozen. If the icing isn't sticking, it may be too thick.

vdrsolo Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

I have to agree with Indydebi, I think too much filling partially contributed to this.

But, I also think it was the raspberry preserves. I will only use the sleeved filling because it will not soak into the cake.

I know many people use jams and preserves and swear that their cakes are fine but I did run a test on this one time, comparing preserves, jams (several different brands), and the sleeved filling. I did several small cakes, torted and filled them, then cut them in half. The next day you could literally all the cakes filling EXCEPT for the sleeved fillings soaking into the cake. The next evening, you could literally see the cakes starting to collapse. Cakes with these fillings may appear to do well at first but they eventually break down the cake. One other thing, jams and preserves as fillings in the cake are not to be left unrefrigerated. Mold can quickly develop. The sleeved fillings do not require the cake to be refrigerated.

Woole2 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 9

Im correcting myself on the preserve I did use the sleave but I thought those were also a preserve since my loca bakery that sells them call them a preserve.

costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 9

I only use real preserves, not the sleeve fillings, and the only time I've ever had any problems was when I used too much of it. That definitely makes the layers slide. I've never had anything soak into the cake enough to make it collapse, but I only do a thin layer of preserves. I kind of want it to soak into the cake to a certain extent, because if it just sits on the surface between the two layers of cake it makes them slide. I also don't do an icing dam, I just don't spread the preserves all the way out to the edges and then I push the icing into any cracks where the layers connect when I'm crumb coating.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woole2

Where did I go wrong?? I made a 2-10" and 2-6"torted and had 3 layers of filling for each 10 and 6. I put 4 dowels thru the 10" layed my 6" with cardboard on top and then a few hours later the bottom cake was doing a mudslide? what happend??

Timeline:
Wens. baked cakes. cooled, wrap, freezer
Friday. took out of freezer thawed a little, filled then iced cakes still a little bit cold and then put back in fridge.
Sat all I had to do was construct it, added 4 dowels to bottom cake put 6" on top do the boarders and was done. I let it set out on table overnight since the filling didnt need to be in the fridge. Rasberry preserve.

I had a very similar situation just yesterday: a had a 6â and a 9â baptism cake.
White cake with raspberry b/c mixed with some raspberry preserve and Red Velvet cake with vanilla b/c.

The front part of the top tier sank into the bottom tier like a 1/4".
Omg!!! I couldnât believe it. I covered most of the damage with roses (roses were amazing btw, I was very happy with them)
Also the roses and the cross on the top tier gave it an optical illusion of being straight.

Except for the slight tilt the cake looked goodâ¦but when the lady saw it, first thing she said: âoh, the cake is tiltedââ¦I wanted to die just there.

I fixed as much as I could, apologized to the lady, gave a $20.00 (out of $90.00) refund because of the tilted top tierâ¦.left, drove home and cried and cried...

I could not believe this was happening, it never happened to me before...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%