The Great Vanilla Debate

Decorating By HerBoudoir Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm by Mamas

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #61 of 101

I think a half pound is a realistic amount for most of us non-commercial bakers icon_smile.gif Once opened, the beans are good for about a year if you keep them as airtight as possible, according to the person I bought them off of.

Even with brewing extract, there's only so many I can use. Although at some of these prices (which are less than what I paid), it may be more economical to use a vanilla bean than some of my Neilsen-Massey when I just want a little vanilla as a supporting flavor.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #62 of 101

Ok now, happy REAL birthday Lani!!

I have a stupid question, it's about buying those beans on eBay. I used to get stuff on eBay a looooong time ago, before they had these 'stores', back before the 'buy it now' option. I have only used it a few times since then, and only for one item at a time. This seller that Lani pointed out offers a free item if you spend a certain amount. How do I insure that I get all my items on one order to qualify? If you click 'buy it now' it takes you to the check out... will there be an option to continue shopping or add more items? I hate to sound like a dork, but I just haven't used eBay regularly in years! (In the 90's I recognized that I could easily become an addict, so I kind of stepped back from it.) I seriously am well versed in online shopping, but not eBay. Someone please confirm that I am going to do this correctly! icon_wink.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:49pm
post #63 of 101

Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

I too don't use ebay much. I'm assuming the seller recognizes that multiple orders have been placed by one person and lumps them together. I recieved two seperate shipping confirmations, but both had the same tracking number.

HerBoudoir Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #64 of 101

Happy Bday Lani icon_smile.gif

lanibird Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:40pm
post #65 of 101

Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif

Your sig line always makes me laugh, btw!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:49pm
post #66 of 101

Cool, thanks for the info! I'm going to give them a try.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Melvira, she's right, the seller will know that you placed multiple orders and I believe once you buy something, you will have the option to buy more from that seller. Most combine shipping.

lanibird Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #67 of 101

You are most welcome!

and

Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:44am
post #68 of 101

Excellent, I was hoping that was how it would work!!! Thanks for the help guys. I am trying not to refamiliarize myself too much with eBay... there is too much damage to be done! Hehehe.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #69 of 101

Watkins vanilla has always worked well for me but I would like to know if anyone uses "Butava" instead of vanilla? Can you tell me more about it and if you like it better than vanilla?

Melvira Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm
post #70 of 101

I have some CK brand Butter-Vanilla and I actually like it because when you open it, it smells like butter rum. But it gives a nice flavor. It works well for icing because even though it looks thick and opaque, it doesn't give any color, so if someone wants really white icing, you can do it!

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #71 of 101

About Ebay

I normally leave a message to the seller about all the things I want then they will charge me proper shipping. They make an invoice, but make SURE you use the ebay site for your protection, don't go one on one with the seller. Once I was ordering ski googles from ebay and the seller did not combine my shipping. icon_mad.gif But I was ordering some crazy cheap stuff from china, so I just left negative feedback and decided not to fight it, it was only $4 extra -- but still!

HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #72 of 101

The brew is on!

The only tight-sealing wide mouth glass jar I could find is a 2 liter capacity (short of buying a case of Ball jars), so I'm doing the "large size" vanilla brew icon_smile.gif It's all good - if it comes out good it'll make unique Christmas gifts.

I split 12 vanilla beans, scraped them, and added everything to the jar and topped them off with 1.75 liter bottle of rotgut vodka. I will need more vanilla beans to flavor that much vodka, but I plan on adding the scraped pods as I use them.

Other than adding more beans and giving the jar a shake every once in a while, all I need to do now is ignore it....I can handle that icon_smile.gif

Come the end of the summer, I should have homemade extract.

Melvira Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #73 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

...all I need to do now is ignore it....I can handle that icon_smile.gif

NOT!!! I couldn't take it! I'd be in there talking to it and making moony eyes at it twelve times a day! icon_lol.gif

I can't wait to make mine! I just know it's going to be good!!

racheycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racheycake Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #74 of 101

This may be a stupid question...but could you use a fifth of Vanilla flavored Vodka and add the vanilla beans to make your own extract?

Melvira Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #75 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelally

This may be a stupid question...but could you use a fifth of Vanilla flavored Vodka and add the vanilla beans to make your own extract?

I don't see why not. You'd have a little imitation flavoring in there (whatever the vodka company uses). I think it might be a waste though because the bean pods will give you such a nice real vanilla flavor, that you're probably not going to taste the vanilla of the vodka anyway.

No stupid questions around here... though I don't guarantee all of the answers! heheheh!

Edited to add: And I believe the good vanilla vodka costs a bit more than the 'rotgut' we've had referred to here, so that's a waste too! (I love that term... rotgut... does anyone else feel like a cowboy? Hehehehe!)

HerBoudoir Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #76 of 101

First of all, Melvira? That's your baby hormones talking, regarding wanting to pamper the vodka and vanilla bottle.

You could, if were the sort of person who didn't have anything better to spend her money on, use a vanilla vodka to get this brew rolling. Of course, then we'd be debating what kind of vanilla they used to flavor said vodka with...

Me? I'm cheap. Since I only expect to use the resulting vanilla extract in "normal" quantities (a teaspoon here, a tablespoon there), the quality of vodka doesn't need to be high. It's not like I'm going to make a martini out of it icon_smile.gif

Let me give you an example. A fifth of Smirnoff (the cheapest brand likely to make a vanilla vodka) will cost you about $15-$18, depending on the market you live in. Ye Olde Rotgut brand of vodka, for the same fifth, would be about $6.

So rotgut it is!

Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #77 of 101

Yah, I'm fulla them hormones! icon_rolleyes.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #78 of 101

Just have some chocolate and you'll be fine icon_wink.gif

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:51pm
post #79 of 101

I bought a bottle of Vanilla Bean paste from the MACS from Silvercloud and I loved the results. I used it in my Vanilla Bean Cheesecake.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #80 of 101

Cowboy? No, actually it makes me feel more like a hillbilly!! An whin I kin afford it I'ma gonna git me some of tham thar vanilly beens and some rotgut vodka an make me sum vanilly extract too! Cuz it sounds downright tummy pleazin to me! Ã Ã Ã

Melvira Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #81 of 101

Hehehehehe... CarolAnn, you're a hoot!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #82 of 101

Wow, Mel, I haven't been on this post for awhile, but I guess since I've been gone you've been hitting the Vodka again, huh?

Well, the last time I was on here I said I was getting vanilla from a friend who just got back from Mexico. I was soooo excited.

Well, the last bottle I had must have been HOMEMADE, and probably dangerous, but soooo delicious. The one she brought me this time, was a manufactured bottle (like real label) and just okay. I'm disappointed. icon_sad.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #83 of 101

Thanks for the suggestion to use vanilla powder in SMBC. I tried it yesterday and it was yummy and the color was not dark. Really appreciate it!

Now, I am thinking about trying to make my own vanilla. Sounds yummy and cost effective too.

Some of you should have a comedy tour, you're hilarious! icon_biggrin.gif

lanibird Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #84 of 101

I'm so excited, I got my beans yesterday! My only previous experience with a vanilla bean was the dry, brittle thing I got at the grocery store, so going off that, these are just beautiful. Pilable, plump, and they smell so good! I bought 2 bottles of the cheapest hooch(rotgut) vodka I could find (liquor store guy must've thought me a cheap drunk icon_lol.gif ) and plunked some beans in. I'm looking forward to using the extracts in my holiday baking, though it sucks to have to wait that long.

Vanilla bean question: To use in baking, do I just toss in the scraped insides of one bean in place of 1 tsp of extract?

HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #85 of 101

It's like night and day on the difference, isn't it? Pay less - get better beans - who'd have thought.

It depends on the "pungency" and size of the bean...I would say 1 scraped bean is closer to 2-3 teaspoons of extract. I find a small paring knife does the job really well.

And dump those scraped pods into the rotgut!

Mine has been brewing for over a week now - already has a lot of color icon_smile.gif

lanibird Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:48pm
post #86 of 101

Awesome! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add: I didn't see your comment on the beans quality before dunce.gif But you are so right. It is weird! I paid $11 for the bad grocery store bean. icon_mad.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #87 of 101

I am curious to find out how the homemade extracts you guys have made are coming along? Good results so far?

Melvira Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:46am
post #88 of 101

I haven't used mine yet, but it's about a month old and I am ready to play with it!!! It looks fantabulous!!

Quick question... now that the extract is 'done', I don't remove the beans do I? Just leave 'em in there??

HerBoudoir Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #89 of 101

I checked mine a couple days ago when I added another half-bean (made creme anglaise where 1/2 a bean was more than enough - added the leftover half to the brew).

It smells INCREDIBLY clean vanilla-y with no trace of rotgut-vodka aroma. I tasted a little bit, and I think has some more time to go to get strong enough to use, including adding some more beans (I'm adding scraped pods and such as I use them for other recipes). I think it will be right on target with being able to use in the fall/bottle for Christmas presents.

Regarding removing the beans after they've soaked for a while - I read somewhere on the internet that someone was pulling them "occasionally" when they looked too limp. Mine still look pretty good, but I may tie the ones already in there with a bit of kitchen string when I get around to it, and leave the new ones "loose", so I can fish out old ones easier at some point.

When you "decant" some of the extract to use, leave the beans in and top off the brew with more rotgut to keep it going. I'm just not sure how I'll actually ever use quite that much vanilla LOL - I am brewing in a 2 quart glass jar that's nearly full.

Next thing I need to do is search out some 4 oz/8 oz containers to "gift out" some of the vanilla when it's ready to go. I also want to buy some more beans online so that when I package them, I will stuff 1 bean into the gift bottle with the brew.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:41pm
post #90 of 101

Did you cut your beans at all before adding them to the vodka?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%