Smbc ?????

Decorating By CINDY1956 Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm by sgilmer

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 8

Can I use SMBC for the dams in filling my cakes or is it way to soft???

7 replies
vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

Hi, I use swiss meringue B.C. for all of my decorating. I love the taste and how easy it is to work with. I've never had a problem with bulging when I use it for dams, but I make sure I use a fairly big dam for it just to be on the safe side. I think I usually use a Ateco #5 tip (roughly 1/2 inch) Then when I put the top cake on, the little extra squeezes out but the main dam stays in place. Good luck!

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 8

vmerstock- could you tell me where I can find swiss meringue BC recipe? I see a lot of posts using it and thought I should look into it. Thanks, Kristina

vmertsock Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 8

I'd be more than happy to share mine with you.

8 oz egg whites
1 # granulated sugar
1 # unsalted butter, softened

In the bowl of a standing mixer, whisk the sugar and whites together. Set them over a pot of boiling water and whisk until the mixture reaches 140 degrees, or until when you stick your finger in the egg mixture and rub your fingers together it doesn't feel grainy anymore. Put the bowl on a mixer with the whisk attachment-careful not to burn your hand on the bowl. Whip at high speed until the mixture triples in volume and is fairly stiff meringue, and the bottom of the bowl is at room temperature. Add the butter a few pieces at a time until all incorporated at medium. After the butter is all in keep whipping for a few minutes until the icing is fluffy. Scrape the bowl down and add in vanilla to taste, I usually start with 1.5 T. If the buttercream is still too liquid, refrigerate until cool and stiff and try re-whipping.
You can use it immediately, store at room temperature for 2 days or refrigerate for 10 days. It also freezes very well.

Hope you like it as much as I do!

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much. I can't wait to try it. My daughter wants me to make her a birthday cake but she's not a huge BC fan, so maybe this she will like. I hope I can do it!

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 8

vmertsock do you know how many cups of batter this makes? It seems like an easy recipe!

vmertsock Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 8

No, I'm sorry. I've never measured out my icing actually. I think it's around 5 cups though.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you! Also: Does anyone know how many cups are in a pound of sugar?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%