Pumpkin Recipes? Where To Find?

Lounge By cande Updated 1 May 2008 , 2:06pm by BigTexinWV

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 12

I am looking for (healthy--or modifiable) recipes using pumpkin. I have heard there are places that have pumpkin festivals...do they print cookbooks with their recipes?

I would like to incorporate it more into our rotation, but most of the recipes I've tried so far have been pretty blah even though I love pumpkin. (They've mostly been recipes fromm allrecipes.com) Where are all of these great pumpkin recipes I keep hearing about icon_cry.gif ?

Anyone have a "tried and true" one to share or a source?

PS--I'm not necessarily looking for dessert recipes-they can be savory too, or perhaps even preferably.

Thanks for any suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
Divous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divous Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 12

Cande,
Hello, yes there are pumpkin shows, we have a big one here in Circleville ,Ohio. I looked under Circleville Pumpkin Show- or www.pumpkinshow.com they have a recipe column there. Hope it has some recipes you want to try.
Good luck ! icon_smile.gif

cande Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Divous! I'm off to check it out!! It would be neat to go to a fair. I wonder how many places hold an annual pumpkin festival each year...or if there is a directory somewhere...

Anyone else have a tip to share?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #4 of 12

http://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/

I don't know if you are talking about fresh or canned pumpking, but the above site is recipes for Libby's canned pumpkin.

cande Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks TexasSugar. Have you tried any of the recipes? If so, which ones did you like/dislike.

Canned or fresh? Either is OK. Do you have a preference? I usually use canned, but maybe I should start using fresh?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #6 of 12

No I can't say I have. I just thought of that site when you asked about pumpkin. I think fresh and canned can be interchanged but canned is usually thicker than fresh. icon_smile.gif

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 12

http://www.tasteofhome.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchPhrase=pumpkin&T=0&searchSource=hdrbox-Recipes

If that link doesn't work, you can find some recipes by going to www.tasteofhome.com and typing in "pumpkin"

cande Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks guys!!

I read that pumpkin is a "super food" and I would like to incorporate it into our meals more, but I don't have any experience with it besides pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 12

I'm glad you posted this question. In my garage dh found a 3-pack of pumpkin that I bought at Sams and forgot, so I need to use them soon. Did you see the recipe for pumpkin oatmeal cookies on the libby's site?

cande Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #10 of 12

Michelle-Yeah, I did, but I was trying to find ways to incorporate pumpkin into our meals, instead of sweets. I love pumpkin in sweets, I just am not quite sure how to use it in the savory dishes to make it appealing (or unnoticeable, lol).

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 12

I loooove pumpkin ravioli in a brown butter sauce, or a sage cream sauce. You can make them yourself with wonton wrappers.

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 12

I love pumpkin also! Last week I tried to make pumpkin soup......NASTY!!!! I still feel alittle sick to my stomach thinking about it. My hubby thought it was baby food, but he is such a tropper that he actually ate it. I could not get over the consistancy. So if you find a GREAT soup recipie please PM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%