Pumpkin Recipes? Where To Find?

Lounge By cande Updated 1 May 2008 , 2:06pm by BigTexinWV

cande Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 12

I am looking for (healthy--or modifiable) recipes using pumpkin. I have heard there are places that have pumpkin festivals...do they print cookbooks with their recipes?

I would like to incorporate it more into our rotation, but most of the recipes I've tried so far have been pretty blah even though I love pumpkin. (They've mostly been recipes fromm allrecipes.com) Where are all of these great pumpkin recipes I keep hearing about icon_cry.gif ?

Anyone have a "tried and true" one to share or a source?

PS--I'm not necessarily looking for dessert recipes-they can be savory too, or perhaps even preferably.

Thanks for any suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
Divous Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 12

Cande,
Hello, yes there are pumpkin shows, we have a big one here in Circleville ,Ohio. I looked under Circleville Pumpkin Show- or www.pumpkinshow.com they have a recipe column there. Hope it has some recipes you want to try.
Good luck ! icon_smile.gif

cande Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Divous! I'm off to check it out!! It would be neat to go to a fair. I wonder how many places hold an annual pumpkin festival each year...or if there is a directory somewhere...

Anyone else have a tip to share?

TexasSugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #4 of 12

http://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/

I don't know if you are talking about fresh or canned pumpking, but the above site is recipes for Libby's canned pumpkin.

cande Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks TexasSugar. Have you tried any of the recipes? If so, which ones did you like/dislike.

Canned or fresh? Either is OK. Do you have a preference? I usually use canned, but maybe I should start using fresh?

TexasSugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #6 of 12

No I can't say I have. I just thought of that site when you asked about pumpkin. I think fresh and canned can be interchanged but canned is usually thicker than fresh. icon_smile.gif

SaraO Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 12

http://www.tasteofhome.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchPhrase=pumpkin&T=0&searchSource=hdrbox-Recipes

If that link doesn't work, you can find some recipes by going to www.tasteofhome.com and typing in "pumpkin"

cande Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks guys!!

I read that pumpkin is a "super food" and I would like to incorporate it into our meals more, but I don't have any experience with it besides pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 12

I'm glad you posted this question. In my garage dh found a 3-pack of pumpkin that I bought at Sams and forgot, so I need to use them soon. Did you see the recipe for pumpkin oatmeal cookies on the libby's site?

cande Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #10 of 12

Michelle-Yeah, I did, but I was trying to find ways to incorporate pumpkin into our meals, instead of sweets. I love pumpkin in sweets, I just am not quite sure how to use it in the savory dishes to make it appealing (or unnoticeable, lol).

michellenj Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 12

I loooove pumpkin ravioli in a brown butter sauce, or a sage cream sauce. You can make them yourself with wonton wrappers.

BigTexinWV Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 12

I love pumpkin also! Last week I tried to make pumpkin soup......NASTY!!!! I still feel alittle sick to my stomach thinking about it. My hubby thought it was baby food, but he is such a tropper that he actually ate it. I could not get over the consistancy. So if you find a GREAT soup recipie please PM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%