Need Design Inspiration, Please Help...

Decorating By ps3884 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 11:27am by LittleLinda

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 13

I had a cake picked up today and as soon as the husband arrived home with the cake, the wife called to thank me and tell me that someone at the party was interested in a birthday cake for their mother who is turning 90. icon_biggrin.gif

Here is what I know so far (I haven't actually spoken to the customer yet, just trying to be prepared with ideas for when they call back): the cake is for her 90th birthday, she still goes dancing twice a week, she's Irish and they need it to feed about 80 people. They would like the design to incorporate her Irish heritage.

Any suggestions? My idea well is dry on this one. I did a search in the galleries for "Irish" but, I haven't come up with an idea I like.

TIA,
Penny

12 replies
ps3884 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone??? icon_cry.gif I just spoke with the daughter who wants to order the cake. Her mother was born and raised in Ireland so they really want the cake to reflect that. Not only have I never been to Ireland, I don't have an ounce of Irish in me. icon_confused.gif

She really wants to "wow" her mom with the cake. She said it could be a smaller cake with a sheet cake for the rest of the servings.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Penny

ps3884 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 13

Please...anyone....? icon_sad.gif I've come up with a couple things but nothing I really want to run with. icon_cry.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 13

Perhaps make the sheet cake with a Celtic knot design (type that into google to find lots of designs). Write Happy Birthday in Irish...but check with the daughter to make sure it would be ok with her family...of course, shamrocks and green are popular, but, that might fall into "American stereotype" a bit. (I don't mean to offend any Irish Americans here -- I know some folks directly from Ireland, they don't care for the whole leprechan idea.... icon_redface.gif )

Does the mother enjoy Irish step dancing? Perhaps put a pair of Irish step shoes on the corner or base of the cake. They could be made out of fondant.

Here's may you live to 100: "Go maire tú an céad!"

Hope this helps. I am sure you will come up with a lovely design. icon_smile.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #5 of 13

I m in awe that she is 90 and goes dancing twice a week!

I think of the Irish Claddaugh (hands holding a heart with a crown). Try googling irish images. You might get good ideas.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #6 of 13

Hi Penny,

I like Petit-four's idea use a Celtic knot design.

You could also find out if she belongs to an Irish clan and see if they have their own tartan or family crest. (Maybe use the tartan for the sheet cake and the crest for the smaller cake, perhaps shaped like the crest???) Another thought could be to do the Irish bag pipes. If I think of anything else I'll give you a holler.

Good luck and let us know how the cake turned out.

Cheers!

ps3884 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 13

After all of my stressing on coming up with a design for this cake I finally sketched two out that I was pretty happy with. The customer came back with "can we just get a sheet cake?" icon_sad.gif

She had said she wanted to "WOW" her mom so, I came up with a couple of ideas that I thought would do that. So, I was a little disappointed when they wanted a sheet cake. icon_cry.gif

Oh well. Here's the finished product. Not my favorite cake that I've done but, I really like the shamrock border and claddaugh.

Thanks to all who responded to my pleas for help.

-Penny
LL

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 13

Even though it isnt what you envisioned, it is a great cake! I am sure it will still "wow" her mom! I love the border too!

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 13

It still looks fabulous! How did you make the shamrock border?

thumbs_up.gif

~Mindy

ps3884 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks Mindy and Merissa. For the shamrock border I cut out 3 mini hearts and piped with royal icing to attach them together and get the gold border. I also dusted them with old gold luster dust. I got the idea from this image I found on-line.
LL

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 13

They really look great. You are very clever! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:15am
post #12 of 13

Very clever indeed! I think your cake turned out great, even if it isn't what you had in mind!!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #13 of 13

The cake came out awesome! it has the Wow factor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%