What Kind Of Cake Rounds Or Boards Do You Use?

Decorating By Mommaskip Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm by aligotmatt

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 6

Im very new to this whole cake baking and assembling thing. I have never done a tiered cake before and I would like to try but have many questions. I have watched a video on assembling cakes and it seems easy but was wondering i know you can buy the cake rounds or boards at the store to support the base of each tier but can i make my own? if so what should i cover them with before stacking. it is just a cardboard round right? i have plently of cardboard laying around so why not use it. i only want to try 2 tiers to start do i still need to use a center dowel. this cake is just for practice at home so i wont be moving it anywhere. thanks to all who respond. any help is appreciated.

5 replies
lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 6

Cake boards I just use boxes at work and cut them to size I want. If I need it thicker I just cut more.
I have also used foam board.

Lu

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 6

If you use cardboard that's laying around, cover it in foil, or there is this stuff called florist foil. there is a site called www.wrapsmart.com that sells it. This works well if you are only doing cakes sometimes, but gets expensive when you start doing lots of them on a regular basis.
check out the website, this florist foil comes in so many colors, too!
HTH

Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 6

thanks so much ladies.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah, I second the motion to cover the boards if you're using just "whatever" cardboards that are laying around. I have no idea if there is a different processing for cardboards to be used for food products vs. cardboard to be used for photocopy paper. I even refuse to use boxes my chicken comes in (from my food distributors) for ANYTHING ... even dirty dish towel storage.

I had a friend who offered to save her pizza rounds after they ate the pizza. I politely declined citing the grease marks not looking nice. So she offered to save the ones the frozen pizza came on since she didnt' bake on those. I finally just had to tell her it was a health dept issue and I couldnt' use 'em.

Besides.....I'm not really saving that much money by taking the time to cut out circles from leftover boxes.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

I use the wilton plastic rounds with feet and snap them in to hidden pillars. EVERY TIME. It makes a more stable cake. I never ever have to worry about a cake sliding or tilting or any issue at all. I decorate right on the plastic round, which I find is wonderful, because it is raised up a little, then I just set right into the hidden pillars when it's done. I've had multiple venues call me that night or the next day saying they loved cutting my cake and taking it apart. lol.

It does cost more a significant amount more. Like a regular 3 tier (10"8" 6" round) may run $3 for pillars and boards with cardboard and wooden dowels) whereas the ones I use run about $11.50.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%