Clear Cake Sleeve

Decorating By waywordz Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 5:15am by waywordz

waywordz Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:31am
post #1 of 13

I have looked all over the internet. I've read most of the forums in here and It's getting late and I want to go to bed. Question: Where do you get the clear sleeves that you wrap around the base of a cake to build up the layers so that when you remove it you have all these perfect layers of cake and filling you can view from the sides. I have some ideas on the layers I want to try. I've tried every cake supply store I could find. All no go. All help greatly appreciated.

12 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:54am
post #2 of 13

I know what you're talking about b/c I came across a website that sells their cakes like this---I'd never seen it before then, but can't for the life of me remember what it was & don't know what to search for.

This is the closest I could find. They have bigger sheets near the bottom of the link

http://www.bakedeco.com/static/list/acetate-liners.htm

JanH Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:20am
post #3 of 13

The names do vary, but either (acetate) cake collar or cake band will also bring up results:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=HPIC,HPIC:2006-39,HPIC:en&q=acetate+cake+bands

HTH

LeanneW Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:28am
post #4 of 13

waywords,

why do you want to use these? is it just to demonstrate how your cake is torted or will you be making cakes for customers with the clear sides?

just curious

waywordz Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! to: JanH: That might be just what I need BAND or COLLAR. I will look under them, too. And I'm gonna try your link also. dandelion56602: I'm going to try your link and see if it helps. I went there but, couldn't find it when I was there. leannwinslow; I'm not in business; yet. I would love to do this for for a living. I can't get enough of learning about cakes. And making cakes. I'm always looking for new things to try. I saw this somewhere and I have been dying to try it. The one I saw was just layers of cake with filling between. I want to try different colors of fruit and fillings. Thank you guys, so much!!

LeanneW Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 13

please post pictures when you do it. I am interested too.

You know in some bakeries that sell cakes by the slice... I think they slice the cake and then put the acetate over the cut part and put the cake back in a circle. i guess they do it to keep the cake from drying out.

I would like to try this too. I don't sell cake by the slice but you never know what the future holds.

I wonder if you could find these at a local baking supply store or party shop.

good luck with it, can't wait to hear about it.

waywordz Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 13

Wanted to let you know: I checked your link dandelion56602 and these are the sheets I am looking for. I like those ex-large sheets at the bottom of the page. I also checked your link, JanH, and there was a lot of cool connections on there. One showed making a liner for the outside of the cake...in chocolate! ummm. Can't wait to get some of these and try them. When I get one made I'll be sure to post it. And I think I'll try my bakery around here. That was also a good idea. Thank you very much!

waywordz Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 13

Tried both the sites. The oasis site had 4" tall ones that I think could work. I entered "acetate cake collar" on my search line like Jan H had suggested and came up with one site that was pretty expensive but, it had REALLY large sheets. I don't remember the deminsions but, wow! I'm not sure how suggesting the site name works since I'm new at posting and don't want to get kicked off but, if someone can tell me what the guidelines are for posting the site I would love to share it. You should be able to find it the same way as I did though, by entering the above on your search line and looking through the sites suggested. They have some great stuff on there, including a double bulb pump gadget for making blown sugar. I really want to try that! I already have some venuance pearls. Thanks.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 13

You won't get kicked off. It's just some members have had trouble w/ that site in the past & so CC decided to "ban" their site, which s u g a r c r a f t has a lot of meanings besides a website so it can be frustrating. So when you see "blocked" it's probably that word.

I think I typed in cake collar, cake band, & clear in front of both those searches too.

waywordz Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 13

I know I've seen mentions of brand names but, wasn't sure if that was ok, either. It's the jbprince.com site. If it's not supposed to be here maybe they'll just block it. I just looked through the catalog on there the sheets are on page 34-35. The double bulb pump is on page 46-47. There are some really cool things in there. Thanks for the "heads up" on the putting the site info on here. I knew about the problem with "you know who" but, didn't really know what it was all about, it was before I joined. I really love having other people to talk to about cake stuff. Some of my family and friends have begun to roll their eyes when I "get started about cakes and s u g a r c r a f t i n g" and I wouldn't jeopardize being in here for anything. It's my "fix". Sorry for all the quotes.

dandelion56602 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #12 of 13

show us some pics when you get your sleeves & try them out

waywordz Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:15am
post #13 of 13

absolutely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%