Wilton Products Verse Others

Decorating By nikki72905 Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm by aligotmatt

nikki72905 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!
I wasn't sure what to write in the subject line. I have only a Michaels and AC Moore in my area. There are no other cake/bake ware supply stores in this area. (There are not even bakeries in this area or anywhere close.) So I am limited to purchasing Wilton producst via Michaels and AC Moore. Now that being said, I don't mind some of Wilton's products but I know there must be others out there.

Where Can I get other products, Where are the best places? Online/Offline Etc.

If anyone has any insite I would greatly appriciate it. I like going to stores and looking at items and getting them that day (I am a little impatient) However, i also like to browse online... I have looked at the site that is affiliated with CC, however I get confused because I am still new.

Any help would be greatful. I am looking for Fondant tools, cake pans, muffin tins, Really anything cake related - I am looking to expand my cake decorating supplies... I like to buy in bulk because I don't like to shop a lot. I am also looking for the dry or powdered food dyes or colors.

Sorry this was so long!

4 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:32am
post #2 of 5

Go to Global Sugar Art... There is usually a link at the top of the page... Just go look around, and then do a search on the internet. Another one a lot of people like because they have PayPal is Into The Oven... Look around online there are even "shops" on Ebay... I would suggest that you go ahead and buy good pans if you are going to get into this... Magic Line is good. I have been looking at Fat Daddio, but do not have any so I can't say for sure...

Sometimes you can find some things at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. but, most of the things that you will want will be online if you don't have a cake supply in your area... Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Happy Baking!

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:01am
post #3 of 5

Do you have Ross in your area? Most people wouldn't think of it, but that's the best place I've found to buy basic sizes of cake pans and muffin tins. I like the good brands and they usually have them there pretty cheap...For example, I bought a Calphalon nonstick 9 X 13 with really square corners for $5.99 there the other day. They also almost always have marble rolling pins, if you go for those, and I bought my favorite rolling pin, a silicone one, there. They also have the hand-crank pasta machines for about $13 or $14.

I was at Target the other day and they had some new stuff...a long cake spatula with a serrated edge (my husband said, "Hey, I saw Duff using that on TV" and bought it icon_lol.gif ) and a pastry (fondant) cutter with two metal wheels, one smooth and one for cutting a ruffled edge. They were still stocking the rest of the stuff, so I have to go back sometime and see what else they have (no big chore, I LOVE Target).

Walmart has a little bit of Wilton stuff. They have the little white plastic fondant rolling pin for a lower price than Michaels. I bought a couple of silicone mats there that I like to use for rolling small pieces of fondant.

Most clay tools can be used for fondant...so the craft stores have a little bit more useful stuff than just what's in the cake aisle.

If you were looking for powdered colors to try painting on fondant, you can also thin paste colors with vodka and paint with them. (I was reading some of the neat British cake books and they were all painting with powdered colors, which seem to be impossible to find here).

HerBoudoir Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 5

I've gotten some great pans at Ross as well. I got a Nordic Cathedral bundt pan for about $12 as opposed to the $32 they are in the regular store, and a few Celphelon pans as well, which I like. The Celphelon pans are all non-stick though so you have to know if that's something you do or don't like.

I have a couple Magic Line pans that I bought online recently and I really like those as well. Very heavy, restaurant grade.

Another place to look is at a restaurant supply store - I get things like pots, scrapers, mixing bowls, cooling racks, etc there for dirt cheap and very good quality. They sometimes have some basic cake decorating things as well.

The best advice I can give you is don't worry about getting everything all at once.

aligotmatt Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 5

I buy a lot of stuff from cakedeco.com, they have a great price on half round pans. Sometimes I find what I want and just buy it on amazon. Oh and I love firstimpressionsmolds.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%