For The Life Of Me I Cant Make My Black Icing Black!!!

Decorating By goofygirly36 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 6:22am by xstitcher

goofygirly36 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 20

i swear i have put almost a whole jar in it thinking that it will darken but it only gets so dark! i have tried to let it sit for a day or two and still nothing...its GRAY!.....any ideas on what i may be doing wrong? tia!

19 replies
tchrmom Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 20

If, by jar, you mean Wilton, try Americolor. It still takes a lot, and letting it sit for awhile helps. I have also heard that starting with chocolate helps, but I never tried that. I'll bet it works, though.

Doug Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 20

using wilton?

if so...well....there ya go...now ya know why so many of us swear by Americolor gels.

----

now as to fixing the immediate problem -- would it be ok if the BC was chocolate flavored?

many start w/ dark chocolate BC and then add the coloring as an easy way of getting black.

so --- you might try adding cocoa powder to your BC (and you'll probably have to add a little liquid as well as cocoa powder is drying). that should get you to a black that is acceptable.

kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 20

Actually once it is on the cake you will be surprised how much it looks like blackicon_smile.gif When exposed to air it does darken even more than letting it sit overnight or more.
Have you tasted it? I bet w/that much coloring in it it's going to taste YUCK icon_sad.gif Think about adding additional flavoring. Another good reason to start w/chocolate b'c.

For the future: save every tiny dribble and drop of icing no matter the color. Keep in a jar in the fzr, adding to it as you have some icing, until you need some black; defrost & stir up well. It will be an UGLY camo/greenish/brown color; now add your black paste/gel and it will take the color much better than starting w/white. You will get a great black. Any leftover can be stored in the fzr until you need some again.

gucci Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #5 of 20

I always melt some chocolate to add to my bc before making it black. It doesn't change the consistency of the icing, it gets black MUCH quicker, and it tastes yummy: ) Good luck!

gucci Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:54am
post #6 of 20

Oh yeah, and kakeladi, thank you for the tip on putting unused icing all together in the freezer to eventually make black. I NEVER would've thought of that. Thank you!

servingzero Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:09am
post #7 of 20

I just did a star trek cake, that had a "black" background with stars. I used americolor super black for the 1st time, and you don't even need the chocolate or cocoa based colour for a base! (which is important, since I have a few people allegeric to chocolate as consumers, yikes, that sucks!!!)
I didn't even have to add very much! Maybe a tsp, and even that would be pushing the amout I used! In the bowl it looked dark gray, but I was "okay" with that, since as it dried I knew it would darken. And as it dried, it was black.
If you're using wilton, a cocoa base would definately be an asset! The dora cake I did has wilton "black" outlining of the FBCT and its's pretty dark, but americolor is way more effective! Invest in their super black... and probably their super red. Not yucky at all.

clsilvus Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:32am
post #8 of 20

All I have to say is Americolor...and maybe I am so done with wilton colors.

goofygirly36 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 20

i had heard about the chocolate and mixing of colors to get it.......havent tried it since i saw it AFTER i posted...lol

but where might i find Americolor?

Ro40 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 20

I agree with everyone on Americolor super black, which you could find at any cake decorating store or online source. However, if you can't find it and only have wilton here is what you do: You mix red, yellow, royal blue and lemon. It turns into an ugly green color; and then you add the black. You still need quite a bit of black, but not the whole jar. Good luck! Definitely freeze the extra. It's such a pain to make that you don't want to always have to do it, and it's nice to be able to pull it out of the freezer. I just let it defrost overnight in the fridge.

debster Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 20

10 thumbs_up.gif up Americolor. The longer it sits the blacker it gets. No nasty taste either. icon_lol.gif

Hippiemama Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 20

Americolor is the way to go. It won't even leave that yucky aftertaste.

debster Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 20

10 thumbs_up.gif up Americolor. The longer it sits the blacker it gets. No nasty taste either. icon_lol.gif

inspireddecorator Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 20

I am only able to get the Wilton colors. So I make black by tinting the bc or fondant with a darker color first, it can be brown, blue, or purple. Then I add black and it working it until you get your black and you won't end up using a whole container. And of course as mentioned before it gets darker as it sits.

tracey1970 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 20

Because of where I live, I have trouble getting much besides Wilton, and I've done the chocolate icing thing. I made a blackboard cupcake cake for school and used chocolate buttercream. It still took a fair bit of black to get it dark enough, but after sitting for a day or two as well, it was great.

maurerba Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #16 of 20

To get a true black color I always start with a dark chocolate BC base. I use Wilton and have never noticed a off taste, perhaps because the chocolate fosting is so yummy! I plan to invest in some Americolor to try it out.

robinscakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 20

I also use Americolor. Sometimes it can look purple-ish, but after it sits for a while it darkens and loses all that purple color.

campbelland Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #18 of 20

If I have some left over icing I use that, just put the Americolor in that, good way to use up that colored icing you cant use and I always shift in some cocoa and that way it never bleeds. Works wonders. I try to make it a day ahead if I want it really black, but it does get darker on the cake too. Sandy

laurascakedesign Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #19 of 20

Also, in a pinch, ( and maybe this is cheating, whatever...) for smaller amounts i just buy a tube of the wilton precolored and then thin it out a bit for stuff like outlines, writing, etc. for larger stuff definitely the trick with saving a bunch of freaky colors and adding to that.

xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:22am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Actually once it is on the cake you will be surprised how much it looks like blackicon_smile.gif When exposed to air it does darken even more than letting it sit overnight or more.
Have you tasted it? I bet w/that much coloring in it it's going to taste YUCK icon_sad.gif Think about adding additional flavoring. Another good reason to start w/chocolate b'c.

For the future: save every tiny dribble and drop of icing no matter the color. Keep in a jar in the fzr, adding to it as you have some icing, until you need some black; defrost & stir up well. It will be an UGLY camo/greenish/brown color; now add your black paste/gel and it will take the color much better than starting w/white. You will get a great black. Any leftover can be stored in the fzr until you need some again.

Could you please let me know how long bc stays good in the freezer and if there is any special method of storing or do u just use a plastic container? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%