"oreo" Like Chocolate Cake Yummy!

Baking By Kitagrl Updated 4 May 2008 , 9:53pm by TexasSugar

Kitagrl Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 9

I do both scratch cakes and doctored cake mixes...I find I get just as many "raves" from the doctored mixes, if not more, than the scratch! Its almost embarrassing sometimes.

Anyway the other day was making a DH dark chocolate cake and I went to get a box of chocolate pudding and realized I only had vanilla. So I just used the vanilla, and then melted a handful of some Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips I had on hand in the microwave real quick, and then mixed it in at the end. (Don't forget when you add pudding, reduce the water to only one cup and add an egg) The chocolate cake ended up tasting alot like a soft moist Oreo, especially with some whipped icing. Yum!

Thought I'd share...

8 replies
fiddlesticks Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 9

Thats sounds delicious ! Thanks for sharing !

busymom9431 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 9

That sounds soooooo good! I usually don't add pudding mix so here is a beginner question. I add one small (?) box of pudding and reduce the water in the mix to 1 cup with no additional liquid other than one egg? Is it super thick? Have you ever added anything like crushed cookies to your cake? Thanks for sharing!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #4 of 9

Yes the mix does get pretty thick but it doesn't affect how it bakes, maybe makes it a little more dense. No I don't add crushed cookies though...seems like they would get soggy.

I'm cranky now though, just put a batch of this in the oven for a last minute customer (kind of a favor) and then gave the kids a bath and forgot about it baking (and burning) downstairs! GRRR! Now I have to decide whether to just give a burnt cake to him free, or write him and tell him I can't give him the cake (its a cheap cake done as a favor, not worth the gas or money to rush out and buy more supplies).

jen1977 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 9

Sounds delicious! I add a small box of pudding and extra egg, but have never reduced the amount of water. They always turn out great! Why do you reduce the liquid? Just curious!

Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Sounds delicious! I add a small box of pudding and extra egg, but have never reduced the amount of water. They always turn out great! Why do you reduce the liquid? Just curious!

It was on the side of the DH box one time. I think the extra egg makes up for the 1/3 cup of water, or close. Obviously it doesn't matter too much! Maybe less water increases the density of the cake a little.

jen1977 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:01am
post #7 of 9

Hmmm...maybe I'll try it the next time I make cupcakes to send to work with dh. I'm testing new flavors, so this is the perfect time!

beachcakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I do both scratch cakes and doctored cake mixes...I find I get just as many "raves" from the doctored mixes, if not more, than the scratch! Its almost embarrassing sometimes.

this happened often enough to me that i went back to box mixes! Still save the scratch recipes for the family though! icon_smile.gif Your chocolate oreo recipe sounds delish! I'll have to try it! icon_smile.gif Thanks!

TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom9431

That sounds soooooo good! I usually don't add pudding mix so here is a beginner question. I add one small (?) box of pudding and reduce the water in the mix to 1 cup with no additional liquid other than one egg? Is it super thick? Have you ever added anything like crushed cookies to your cake? Thanks for sharing!

Just wanted to add that you still use the other eggs (usually 3) called for and the oil.

I have never reduced the water and have still had great results. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%