Best Fillings For Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By sunnyrunner Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm by whittydoodle

sunnyrunner Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times, sorry! I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. So if anyone could point me in the right direction, either with recipes, suggestions, or a link to another thread, I would REALLY appreciate it!

I need some ideas for great tasting fillings for fondant covered cakes, that can sit out for a night or so and still be okay to serve the next day. I don't like plain buttercream.... I'm still very much a beginner, so ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks!

5 replies
alanahodgson Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 6

There are a couple of threads floating around right now discussing the fact that many of us put fondant covered cakes in the fridge with no ill effects. I use Michele Foster's fondant recipe and refrigerate all my cakes. The fondant will get some condensation when you take it out of the fridge but that will evaporate and the fondant will be perfectly fine. Just try not to touch the fondant will its damp. You'll leave marks.

Cakebelle Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

I totally agree with Alana. And any fruit filling, like a pie filling, jam or preserves are fine in a fondant cake- if it needs to stay at room temp. for a long period of time. HTH icon_smile.gif

melissablack Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 6

I have put marshmallow fondant covered cakes in the fridge before...before I knew you weren't 'supposed' to, lol, and it was fine.

But as far as fillings that can sit out, I use fruit fillings, like strawberry, raspberry, lemon curd, etc... Strawberry is the most popular.

alanahodgson Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 6

Also, apparently those fillings that come in a long sleeve that you can buy at cake supply stores are shelf stable.

whittydoodle Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6

So does anyone use the country kitchen brand sleeves, I have a wedding coming up and they want strawberry filling and I want to make sure it is a really good brand that tastes great! And also does shelf safe mean I don't have to refrigerate or is that only when in the package?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%