Fondant Swag

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm by sweetnessx3

sweetnessx3 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 6

I have a small 4 tier cake in May with butter cream icing but she wants a fondant swag cascading from side to side of each cake down the front of cake how do I assemble the swag to the cake ,does fondant stick to butter cream icing ? Any help will be appreciated!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
pjaycakes Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, the swags will stick to buttercream. You can add a little extra on the ends to help it stick better.

wrightway777 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:56am
post #3 of 6

Heres some tips that may help:
A) make sure you dont roll the swag too thin (it needs to keep its shape) and not too thick (that way it wont slide off the cake).
B) I've found that using extra buttercream to stick fondant to the crusting buttercream (if thats what you are using - and I would suggest you do) will spell disaster. I personally have found that if you use piping gel it is light enough that it wont pull the fondant (dont use too much).
C) use wadded up small pieces of plastic wrap to keep its shape if you think that a fold may fall while it is drying esp overnight (dont use cotton balls - I find that it sticks to the fondant and you will be picking cotton fibers out of folds) (don't stick in the fridge). Plain old plastic wrap wont stick to the fondant.
D) you " could" try adding 1 part fondant to 1 part gum paste (kneaded together well) that will help it to keep the swag shape. Personally, I like to just use fondant and the plastic wrap method (its whatever you like and feel comfortable with).
E) Practice with a rectangle shape.
F) Feel a little unsure? Practice with a couple of cake pans turned upside down till you get your "drape technique" in your swag the way you want it.

need a few more tips? - I have a few others if needed.

bcake1960 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:07am
post #4 of 6

Thanks wrightway777 I have been playing with swag's the last few nights and your tips will come in handy.. Maybe I can conquer this after all..

alanahodgson Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 6

I would really recommend mixing the fondant with some gumpaste or adding some tylose powder to the fondant. It will allow you to roll it thinner and lower your risk of tearing. This is also beneficial so you have less weight to pull your buttercream down and will give you a more realisitic looking drape.

sweetnessx3 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 6

thumbs_up.gif Thank you ,youve been great help!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%