Dairy Free Cake

Decorating By Kimlee Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 12:49am by mommyle

Kimlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimlee Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 7

I was just asked to make a dairy free white cake for next week. Any ideas on how to do this? I have never done this. Is the cake box mixes dairy free??? Thanks ahead of time!

6 replies
saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure about cake box mixes but thought that it might be worth checking out Earth Balance Dairy Free Margarines

I have to admit that I haven't tried this product because I live in the UK but my son has a milk protein allergy and can't have any milk products so butter is out. I check quite regularly for new products because almost on a weekly basis there is something new out that he can have.

I came across this

http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html

If you scroll down some of the products are marked suitable for baking with.

We have dairy free margarines here in the UK and I use one when making cakes for my son. The brand I use I can substitute the exact same amount for butter in any recipe - the batter always looks looser and more liquidy but I have found it to bake up perfectly every time. I use the scratch recipe below

200g Dairy Free Margarine
200g Caster Sugar
200g Self Raising Flour
4 Eggs
1 tea spoon vanilla extract

I then bake it in a 7" round or 6" square tin for about 35mins at 175 o C

If I want to make chocolate cake I disolve a tablespoon of cocoa powder in 2 tablespoons of boiling water and then add that to the mixture, then I bake it at a slightly lower temperature.

The result is a pretty firm cake, I have used it once to make a 2 tier cake, if you look in my pictures I have a fireman cake, it isn't the best decorated cake in the world but I didn't dowl it and it was obviously firm enough to hold up the top tier.

I also have a recipe for dairy free frosting if you need it I can send it to you. I don't want to overload you with information.

Sara

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 7

I just checked a box of DH cake mix- it does list milk. I don't know about the other brands. Don't know if you have tried it but when you make your buttercream (if you make with crisco or hi ration) you can substitute coffeemate creamer for the milk, if you use milk. If you want to you add equal parts water (warm or hot) and coffemate and mix it well then use to thin your icing. HTH

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #4 of 7

When I have made Vegan cakes in the past, I used my regular scratch recipe. I used a non-dairy margarine in place of the butter..the kind we have here in the south-west is Nucoa Margarine. Then to replace the eggs, I used Ener-G egg replacer. The cakes didn't rise as much as they would have normally, but everyone liked them!

I don't know if you have to replace the eggs as well, but I thought I'd add that info just in case!

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 7

I've heard some about DH box mixes. Here is an informative link to a Vegan website. In short, it states, that 12 out of 18 DH box mixes are once again dairy free.
http://www.veganbob.com/about/cooking/2007/02/16/duncan-hines-vegan-cakes/

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #6 of 7

I remember seeing something on-line about some cake mixes being dairy free so I googled it.

Here's 1 link saying that DH makes some dairy free cake mixes.

http://www.keepingthecastle.com/dairy-free-cake-mixes-from-duncan-hines/

I don't know if it still applies, although it is a recent post

You may could always take a wander & check out the ingredients or email some of the companies and ask them for the info.

This is assuming of course that you want to use cake mixes! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #7 of 7

Use cooking oil instead. As in Criso oil, or whatever. It makes it very greasy, so if you want, you can use 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup (for instance) and 1/4 cup of applesauce (for instance). What about using a soy milk instead of milk in the recipe?
Totally possible to do from scratch (if allergies are a concern you really should ONLY bake from scratch), and will still be VERY yummy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%