How To Make Sugar Sand Stick To Sides Of Cake

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm by DianeLM

pjaycakes Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 7

How do you get sugar sand to stick to the sides of crusted buttercream? Thanks.

6 replies
born2bake Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

I'll throw out an idea. How about brushing the sides with corn syrup, slightly tilt the cake and apply the sugar sand with your hand to the side that is tilted up.

Hope this makes sense.

kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 7

born2bake's idea *might* work but it just might make the sugar 'melt' icon_sad.gif
Very, very lightly spritz the cake w/something like vodka and quickly slap on the sugar as she said.
If you have an airbrush that would be ideal to 'wet' the b'c.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:36am
post #4 of 7

When my kids did their fair cakes, they just kinda "smooshed" the borwn sugar onto the sides. Some of the brown sugar fell off, but most of it stuck. I was really afraid that any liquid at all would cause the brown sugar to melt.

Good Luck!

born2bake Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Kakeladi! Even though I 'read' brown sugar, I was thinking crushed graham cracker / pecans type mixture. However, the crushed graham cracker would 'melt' like the brown sugar.

But I wonder, for future reference, would my idea of brushing on corn syrup work with crushed (food processor) nuts?

7yyrt Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 7

I think you need to put it on before the icing crusts. I read sugar sand to mean larger sugar crystals (sanding sugar).
We used to put in on cookies when I was a kid, by dipping them, and pushing the crystals into the icing.

DianeLM Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 7

It'll stick to a thin layer of piping gel. Just brush the gel onto the crusted buttercream. However, before you do this, are you sure you want to cover the cake with sugar? A mouthful of brown sugar isn't as pleasant as it sounds! icon_smile.gif I like to make sand out of crushed vanilla wafers or graham crackers mixed with sanding sugar. Tastes great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%