My 1St Disaster!! Long

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm by FromScratch

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 25

okay, so I made a cake last weekend for my stepsister...she was hosting a baby shower for her friend. (see my vehicles cake in my photos). She wanted a 12 inch square, double layer, w/a vehicles theme to match the baby's room. She wanted chocolate transfers of the vehicles on all sides and on top. I quoted her $65...she balked at the price but eventually agreed. I was annoyed.

anyway, she came to pick up the cake last Saturday at 10:20 in the morning. The shower was at 1pm. She was not dressed, no makeup, etc. The shower was 45 minutes from my house, and it was getting close to 70 degrees. I asked her where she needed to go before the shower and she said she needed to pick up the sitter, stop home to get dressed, etc. I told her to make sure the AC was cranking in her car because of the chocolate transfers.

so I emailed her the other day to see how everything went. She emailed me back yesterday to say that one of the dump trucks on top was melted all over the cake when she took it out of the car, and the ones on the sides were starting to melt too. She said how embarrassed and upset she was, etc. I apologized...never had a disaster! icon_redface.gif but I asked her how long the cake was in the car, etc. I figure, even if she ran in her house to get dressed and put on makeup, that could easily take 15 minutes. She claims she left the car running the whole time, with the AC on.

I don't know what to believe. I sent her a check for 1/2 her money back because I feel awful, but I just don't see how this happened, if what she says is true. I have used chocolate in the summer before, in much warmer temperatures (I wouldn't really recommend that!) and it was NOT that warm out that day.

I think it was just in the car way too long. what do you think? I don't really think this is my fault...I advised her that the chocolate could melt if not kept in a cool place.

24 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 25

I think she probably left it in her car, sun shining thru the windows, and it got hot. I wouldn't have refunded any of the money. It looked fine when you gave it to her, told her not to leave it there, and she did! Her fault!

cazsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazsam Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 25

I think if the cake looked good when it left you then thats good enough. You can't control what happens to it once out of your site!

Kate714 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 25

thanks guys...I just felt awful, especially since she's family...but my DH said the same thing...the cake was fine when she took it and I advised her to keep it cool. She didn't ask for money back but she obviously is not taking any blame for it!! icon_mad.gif

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 25

Remember...........this was not YOUR disaster. She was the one who left the cake in the heat. I looked at the picture, super cute cake! Good Job!

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 25

The cake picture was very cute. I wouldn't have given her money back and what I would do is send her a copy of the picture to give the mom to be so she could have a picture for her baby book. I agree she left the cake too long in the car.

Kate714 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #7 of 25

thank you thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 25

I dont think you can be to blame for something melting! Plus you warned her about them.

You shouldnt have to apologize for that.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 25

chocolate = melting!!!

you warned her...she didn't listen. Don't apologize! I agree with diamond...send the mother a copy picture of the cake for her baby book! That would be a REAL nice gesture! icon_biggrin.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 25

I agree with the others. I wouldn't give a refund b/c the responsibility was delegated to her. I think that was very nice of you to give her some money back though. Cute pic as well.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 25

This was NOT your disaster...it was hers! I wouldn't have given her any $$ back. We all know that it is so much hotter inside a car then outside, and obviously she left the cake in the car too long...her fault!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 25

OMG she left it the car running with the air on. That's roughly 2 1/2 hrs by my count. At roughly 3.50 a gallon. Did she rob a bank beofre she picked up the cake?

Bummer

Mike

Kate714 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 25

thank you all! I hope she contacts me when she gets the check in the mail...and I will clarify that I am not giving her $$ because I take responsibility...I'm just trying to keep the peace icon_smile.gif If it was anyone else, I wouldn't think I would do it! It just burns me up that she is not taking any responsibility. icon_mad.gif

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:26am
post #14 of 25

i totally agree, its her fault for leaving it in the car. once it leaves your house in good condition its up to her how she looks after it.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:38am
post #15 of 25

I know the A/C in my car doesn't work nearly as well when the car is just sitting still. I'll bet it got pretty warm in there.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #16 of 25

I wouldn't have refunded her anything family or not. EVERYONE knows that you can't leave chocolate sitting in a car. Not to mention you even told her not to leave the cake in the car. Once a cake leaves your hands it's no longer in your control.

When a customer picks up a cake from me I always have a 'tip' sheet attached with special instructions for that particular cake. For example: if the cake needs to be refrigerated, where the dowels are located, cutting instructions etc.

That way they can't come back to me and say 'they didn't know'.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #17 of 25

Wow your way to nice i would'nt have given her the money back you told her not to leave it in the car her fault. She should have been ready and pick it up last thing before she went to her friend.

Just take it a lesson that no matter who it is the cake is their resonsibility once it leaves your hands and you can only guide them.

Great cake her loss.

Kate714 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

I wouldn't have refunded her anything family or not. EVERYONE knows that you can't leave chocolate sitting in a car. Not to mention you even told her not to leave the cake in the car. Once a cake leaves your hands it's no longer in your control.

When a customer picks up a cake from me I always have a 'tip' sheet attached with special instructions for that particular cake. For example: if the cake needs to be refrigerated, where the dowels are located, cutting instructions etc.

That way they can't come back to me and say 'they didn't know'.

Great idea on the tip sheet! I might have to try that.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

At roughly 3.50 a gallon. Did she rob a bank beofre she picked up the cake?

LOL Mike!

Great cake - stupid lady. Bet she left it in her car when she went to get dressed and that's BS about leaving the car on the whole time. NOT your fault, you gave her instructions, you were far too nice to offer a refund!

Plus is that a 10" cake? The base price BEFORE the choco transfers should have been over $100! She got a STEAL to begin with. Even if it was a 8" cake, that's still a base price of $70 PLUS the cost of the transfers after that.

Sorry you had to deal with this, but don't beat your self up - not your fault and you were a dear to handle it the way you did.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:31pm
post #20 of 25

Cake is ADORABLE. Stepsister NOT so adorable.

I echo the sentiments of the others. When a client picks up a cake. It's NOT MY PROBLEM what happens after that. I give them instructions; heck, sometimes I even give them the foam to sit the cake on; but after that.....it's their responsibility.

I would HOPE that your stepsister would do the right thing and return your check and accept responsibility!

Beth in KY

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #21 of 25

I thinks like the others. You advice her of what to do with the cake to make sure the cake will arrive safely to the shower, and the most important thing is that you have a photo of the cake as it was before giving it to her, and it was wonderfull. Email that photo to the mother to be, so everyones have the image of the cake before it went to your stepsister's hands. Anyways she was the one who ask for the chocolate transfers. Good Luck!!

Kate714 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Quote:
Quote:

At roughly 3.50 a gallon. Did she rob a bank beofre she picked up the cake?

LOL Mike!

Great cake - stupid lady. Bet she left it in her car when she went to get dressed and that's BS about leaving the car on the whole time. NOT your fault, you gave her instructions, you were far too nice to offer a refund!

Plus is that a 10" cake? The base price BEFORE the choco transfers should have been over $100! She got a STEAL to begin with. Even if it was a 8" cake, that's still a base price of $70 PLUS the cost of the transfers after that.

Sorry you had to deal with this, but don't beat your self up - not your fault and you were a dear to handle it the way you did.

It was actually a 12" cake! That's why I was scratching my head when she balked at $65!!! I mean, I think that's a deal!! I just sent her an email saying this:

Hi Erica â hopefully you have received my check in the mail. I sent that because I feel bad that that happened to you, but I cannot say I take responsibility for it. I believe the cake sat too long in the car. I wouldnât have refunded $$ to anyone else! icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I have attached a picture of the cake in case Robine wants to see itâ¦if you want to forward it to her. I can also mail her a copy if she would like for a baby book, etc.

Am I getting my point across without being too bitchy?? icon_lol.gif

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:39pm
post #23 of 25

I think your e-mail sounds fine.

Kate714 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #24 of 25

thanks - she emailed me back right away (she never does that) and said she did receive the check and wasn't blaming me. She said she didn't expect any money back and will either rip up the check or send it back...whatever I want. Interesting...she didn't protest when I told her I was sending $$ back!! I think she's mad...oh, well....

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #25 of 25

I bet it was in direct sunlight.. even if it was in a box, being in direct sunlight would lead to some melting. I have people sign a release form stating that once they pick up their cake it becomes their responsibility to take care of it. They get a sheet explaining that their cak should remain cool and stay out of direct sunlight, how many dowels are in it and about where they are, instructions on how to cut it to get the right amount of servings, blah blah blah. I'm happy she is ripping your check up.. you in no way owed her anything for her lack of common sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%