Will Wilton Icing Whitener Make Chocolate Buttercream White?

Decorating By KristinAnn Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm by KristinAnn

KristinAnn Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know if I can use the Wilton icing whitener to make choco bc white or at least light tan? I had a beach themed cake all planned for my mother's birthday, but she just told me she wants chocolate bc icing. Can I make the choco bc, then add the icing whitener to make it more sand colored? Or once I lighten it with the whitener, can I use yellow icing color to make it sand colored? Assuming that did work, would it be too strange to have a light tan or yellow icing that tastes chocolate?

Thanks for your help,

5 replies
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 6

I think the best the whitener will do is make a slightly ivory buttercream very white.

You can add just enough cocoa powder or ganache to give the buttercream a light brown sand color, and then go with a dark chocolate cake and a ganache filling - that may be a good compromise between giving Mom the chocolate she wants and you the lighter background you want.

While I haven't done it yet, I've been playing around with making beach cupcakes, using Nutella in my buttercream to get the sand color, and using the Guylian chocolate hazelnut sea shells for decoration. That may work for you too.

Petit-four Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 6

I'd suggest icing your cake with a thick layer of chocolate icing, chilling it well, and then mixing up some soft (thinned) butter-cream tinted tan (you could even just make up a batch and add a little cocoa powder and some brown tint for a "light" chocolate taste). Pipe the icing with the #18 tip where you want the "beach" to be, and then gently smooth it. The well-chilled chocolate icing underneath will not be disturbed. Sprinkling on some brown sugar also add a nice sparkle to a "beach."

You could then pipe chocolate icing over that if you wanted to make a dock or a rowboat or something like that. Your mother will taste all chocolate, but the color will be as you wish.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 6

You can make beach sand from brown sugar and meringue powder. Mix 8 oz of brown sugar with 1 tsp meringue powder in a plastic bag. Add 2 to 3 drops of water and shake it up. Spread on a cookie sheet to dry for a couple of hours. You could cover the chocolate icing with this plus it looks like real sand. HTH

7yyrt Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 6

I would ice in chocolate, and use cookie crumbs as the sand. It gives you the 'grains' as well as the color.

KristinAnn Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your suggestions -- I will keep them all in mind for the future. I went with the crushed vanilla wafer cookies suggestion since it was the quickest, easiest and I didn't have a lot of time to fuss with the cake. It worked fine although I left a trail of crumbs whenever I moved the cake since I also covered the cake board with them.

Here's a link to the photo. If it doesn't work, the cake is the first one in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%