Scoring A Sheet Cake? (Kind Of Long)

Decorating By allee Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 5:49pm by Strazle

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 14

I had a lady call today wanting a sheet cake. She wants it decorated for a bridal shower, which I can handle, but she wants the "little squares" marked on the cake, so they can be sure to cut the correct size pieces. I have never done this. I have seen them, but just never made one that way. She said that she would also like a decoration in each little square. No real specifics, just general info like white cake/white icing. It isn't until mid-May so I have time to practice. I was just wondering if there is any kind of "icing marker" that you can buy?? I have seen the ones for round cakes and for pies, but nothing for sheet cakes. Any ideas where I can get one? Also, if she does decide for a little decoration for each square, what is the best to do for that? And how much more would you charge?
Sorry for all the ??'s, but I know someone out in CCland has an answer!
Thanks in advance!

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 14

I believe they do have presses for the tops of cakes but don't hold me to it. You can also measure off the squares and use floss or thread to mark the spacing, then using a writing tip (#3, maybe?) to draw the line on the marked lines made with the floss.

allee Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 14

I thought about that after I posted (of course) and I may have to do that. I can't seem to find anything on the web. Sure do hope I can make straight lines, lol! Thanks

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:28am
post #4 of 14

yes they make a marker icon_smile.gif

(I have them)

1 for wedding cake sizes 1 for party sizes but I will have to try to remember where I bought them...

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #5 of 14

You can view them on www.countrykitchensa.com
They are under cake decorating, general and they are called cake dividers. They have different sized for different sized cakes.
HTH

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #6 of 14

I have used fishing line to actually cut the cake into squares. I decorated the cake like normal after and it looked great. good luck.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #7 of 14

My husband has a suggestion.

Measure the inside of your sheet cake pan. Then build a cake marker out of the same material that you make cookie cutters from. Kind of like a really big tic tac toe board. That way you always have one. He is drawing up an example, I'll post it when he finishes...lol

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #8 of 14

In class we just held a ruler next to the iced cake and marked at 2" or 3" intervals (depending how big you want the slices) with your spatula.

Then we made a small shell "border" on all of the lines.

I was just playing with the decoration in class, but you get the idea.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #9 of 14

Country Kitchen in Fort Wayne, Indiana has scoring mats. But if you don't want to invest the money, measure out the serving sizes and use dental floss to score the cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1050053 is an example of this type of cake. I have always liked this way of decorating a cake. Each piece looks so nice on the plate. My mother used to order large sheet cakes for the Christmas Banquet and each piece had a poinsettia on it. That was my first experience with a decorated cake which may explain my fondness for them. (Although I like each piece to be the same.)

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #10 of 14

I use an impression mat by K&S Quik-Press. It is called a cake divider. Into the Oven carries them but they are out of stock currently. I found one Here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00086IDCS/?tag=cakecentral-20
This one is actually larger, mine is only for a 9x13. When I did my son's birthday cake, I decorated the center of each square with stars. For my cousins little girl, drop flowers. They are also available in wedding cake serving sizes. It makes it really easy for whomever is cutting the cake to cut the pieces evenly without destroying the cake (like my mother in law does! icon_rolleyes.gif ). HTH
Melissa

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #11 of 14

Mine is the same brand as Melissa. I bought it several years ago and unfortunately I can't remember where I purchased it. I do know I ordered it online.

allee Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 14

THANKS!! You guys are great! I just ordered from Country Kitchen, got 2 just in case I ever need it again (diff. sizes). I did a practice cake and used fishing line and a ruler and it wasn't too bad, I just think that this will be easier for me. Sometimes the hands aren't as steady as I would like, lol. I knew that someone on here could help and as always, ya'll came thru again. Will post a pic when it's done. Thanks again.......

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 14

I'm probably a little late to answer this, but I've seen carrot cakes divided this way and they usually have a little carrot made from buttercream on top. For a bridal shower, why not do a little rosebud in each square, or even a small rose. Just my 2 cents.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 14

Sorry if you have already done the cake....I just saw the post and thought I would help if i could. I had a request for the sheetcake with squares too....NOT MY STYLE. So, I cut the squares and decorated the way I wanted and you could not even tell it was cut underneath. They just stuck the server under and lifted and it worked great. I will post the cake below.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%