Tips For First Time Gum Paste User... Please!!!!!!

Decorating By Baking4Fun Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm by lapazlady

Baking4Fun Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning on working with pre-made gum paste tonight. I hope to make a number 4 for the top of my sons birthday cake. I am guessing I will use a cookie cutter to cut it out. Any last minute tips to keep me out of the kitchen all night and to have a nice birthday cake would be appreciated.

Whats the best way to color it, cut it out? I have americolor food coloring. Also I plan on putting stars on wires (kinna going for the shooting star look)

Anyway ANY tips would be appreciated!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
lapazlady Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 5

Gum paste dries very quickly, keep a sheet of plastic wrap handy to cover the unused portion that is rolled out. When you add color you'll have to knead for a while, to be sure the colors are well blended. (I usually wear gloves, and while working the glob, take a short walk, knead, twisting and pulling the whole time.) hth

wgoat5 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 5

I absolutely LOVE gp work... the only thing is it does dry quickly, which can be a good AND bad thing...

Hope you enjoy!!

A number shouldn't give you any trouble at all!

butterflywings Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 5

i'd do a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. the fondant will give you a little more time to work with it, since gumpaste does dry really quickly. and put just a tiny amount of shortening on your fingertip and knead that in, too... it will help keep it soft while you're working.

have fun!

lapazlady Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

I color a large glob, expecting to have too much, but would prefer to have some extra than to try and match the color if another batch were needed. The advice about a bit of shortning on the hands is a really good one. Have fun, work quickly and cover all the extra very well and it will last a long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%