Tips For First Time Gum Paste User... Please!!!!!!

Decorating By Baking4Fun Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm by lapazlady

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning on working with pre-made gum paste tonight. I hope to make a number 4 for the top of my sons birthday cake. I am guessing I will use a cookie cutter to cut it out. Any last minute tips to keep me out of the kitchen all night and to have a nice birthday cake would be appreciated.

Whats the best way to color it, cut it out? I have americolor food coloring. Also I plan on putting stars on wires (kinna going for the shooting star look)

Anyway ANY tips would be appreciated!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 5

Gum paste dries very quickly, keep a sheet of plastic wrap handy to cover the unused portion that is rolled out. When you add color you'll have to knead for a while, to be sure the colors are well blended. (I usually wear gloves, and while working the glob, take a short walk, knead, twisting and pulling the whole time.) hth

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 5

I absolutely LOVE gp work... the only thing is it does dry quickly, which can be a good AND bad thing...

Hope you enjoy!!

A number shouldn't give you any trouble at all!

icon_biggrin.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 5

i'd do a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. the fondant will give you a little more time to work with it, since gumpaste does dry really quickly. and put just a tiny amount of shortening on your fingertip and knead that in, too... it will help keep it soft while you're working.

have fun!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

I color a large glob, expecting to have too much, but would prefer to have some extra than to try and match the color if another batch were needed. The advice about a bit of shortning on the hands is a really good one. Have fun, work quickly and cover all the extra very well and it will last a long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%