Can I Write On Fondant With A Sharpie?

Decorating By 1234me Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm by alanahodgson

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 9

of course, it will not be eaten. Just wondering if it (the color) would bleed? Everytime I buy edible markers, they look like crap icon_smile.gif

8 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 9

I would think it'll probably work - sharpies are awesome.

There are ink pens you can get now that are edible - I saw them in the cake decorating section at the local Ben Franklins about 2 weeks ago - I would think those probably wouldn't bleed.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9

I have seen the edible pens used on fondant and they came out fine. Then there are no worries to make sure it is not eaten.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't even venture doing that. Use edible markers, the good kind.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 9

I wouldn't unless it's for a display cake. Even if it's not intended to be eaten, you never know what might happen.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 9

You can take a look at my sports ball cakes in my profile. I used a sharpie on the little fondant Happy Birthday squares. Of course, these were not touching the cake and were not eaten.

You have to be careful not to press too hard when using the sharpie b/c it easily sinks into the fondont. Or maybe let the fondont harden a little before you write on it.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 9

My sharpie says non-toxic on it so even if someone did eat it it wouldn't hurt them. I would be very cautious using it though because although it is non toxic it is not food grade safe.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 9

look in my gallery and find the golf ball on the chocolate cake with grass... Titliest or however it is spelled is written on a fondant plaque with a Sharpie. I just let the customer know ahead of time to pull that off!
HTH

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 9

I went looking for food writers at my local cake shop. They didn't have any and she said "I just use a sharpie...they're non toxic". I considered it, but the way those things smell???? Not on something people will eat. But I would surely use it on something someone was not going to eat without hesitation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%