Home Business Who Got Inspected By The Dept Of Agriculture.

Business By SHADDI Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm by Deana

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 12

I have a question i am going throw all the steps that i have to do to get legal and now i am were the dept of agriculture ask you to send in your recipe and flow chart and label info. i am confuse.. i know it seems pretty easy and I'm sure it is but for some reason I'm having a hard time writing this stuff out so i need your help.

1st thing is the recipe they want every one of them. Did you guys do that?
i only really have a few and am looking into expanding my flavors but i do box for some and scratch for other flavors. and was wondering would they have a problem if i put in my doctored box mix recipes.

2nd is the labeling. Do you guys put labels on your cake boxes. and how about the net wt. how do you figure that out when every cake we do is different to each customer request.

please help i really want to get this done so i can start my business

thank you ahead of time for your help
shaddi

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 12

It would be your best bet to call the Dept of Ag and ask them. Each state can require different specifics. In my experience, they are very helpful.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 12

My state (NY) has similar requirements. They sent me a sample label, and offered to spot-check my labels (even the font size is regulated!). Also, regarding weight, you can print out a label with a blank for the weight, and fill it in for each cake. For NY a kitchen scale was fine.

As JoAnnB mentioned, give them a call. They are very helpful and usually delighted to help bakers become "legal." Best wishes. icon_smile.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 12

According to my lady here she said I won't need labels unless I am selling to restaurants. She said once I decide to go that route to call her and she would help me with the process. My experience has been very encouraging with them. Good luck with everything.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 12

I'm in Virginia too, and you do have to do every single recipe. They don't have a problem with cake mix ones, they just want you to write down everything that you use. If you do one template in a word processing program you can copy the information for most of them into it, since the steps are pretty much the same for most cakes. You'll need a flow chart and formula sheet for each recipe, and if you add onto your list you'll need to do more for each recipe that you add. You can just save them up as you add them and give them to the inspector when they inspect you each year, though. Or you can send them in in a big batch, that's what I tend to do.

I only do cakes for individual customers, not retail, so I don't have to do labels. I don't know if the county regulations are different (I'm not in your county) but I think that as long as you don't sell to stores or restaurants you don't need to make labels.

SHADDI Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 12

thank you so much for your info. i have been having problems trying to get on cake central since yesterday after i posted this.

that really make since about the labels. i would only be making cake for individual customers and not retail. i would have to call back again and ask that question.

thank you costumeczar for the cake box question. that helps alot too.

shaddi

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 12

i'm in va too and although based on the application, it did not appear that i would have to do labels, when the inspector got to my house he said i really should go ahead and do it.

also, i didn't find the folks at the dept. agr. to be too helpful. they lost my application, well not lost, it was just sitting on someone's desk for 5 weeks before it was "found". in the end, the inspector was really nice and informative and very serious about his job. i wouldn't have any issues with calling him in the future with a quesiton. good luck!...it's not as hard as you think icon_wink.gif

ashley

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 12

OK- total newbie question, but what is a flow chart? I understand the rest of it, and will be trying to get licensed in the future, so I was just curious about this. TIA!

Amber

SHADDI Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 12

Amber,
In the paper work that they sent me it asked me to write out my recipe and process flow sheet. Which is a detailed step by step process of making the cake from start to finish.
(Start: meaning pulling out all the equipment and getting ready to make the cake. With everything in between to Finish: meaning putting the cake in the box ready for the customer).

They give you an example in the paper work they send out.

I hope that helps in answering your question.
Shaddi

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Shaddi! Now I understand, thought that seems like a LOT of work! Guess I will have to see the requirements for SC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADDI

Amber,
In the paper work that they sent me it asked me to write out my recipe and process flow sheet. Which is a detailed step by step process of making the cake from start to finish.
(Start: meaning pulling out all the equipment and getting ready to make the cake. With everything in between to Finish: meaning putting the cake in the box ready for the customer).

They give you an example in the paper work they send out.

I hope that helps in answering your question.
Shaddi

Dang!! Glad I didn't have to do all of that!! icon_eek.gif

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 12

Im in VA too... no labels required.. but I did have to write out all the recipes and flow chart. Make sure, in your process you specifically mention as your first ste[ 1. Wash and sanitize utensils and preparation area.

They are looking for contamination and unsanitary practices....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%