Cake Exploding!! Need Help Please!

Decorating By moonlightschild Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 5:16pm by KathysCC

moonlightschild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonlightschild Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 9

i might have put too much batter in the pan and it is over flowing! can it be salvaged? it is over the rim of the pan and falling through to the bottom of the oven! do i stop baking it and scooping some of the batter out or just let it bake through? please help me!!!
i'm such a bonehead!

crystal

8 replies
moonlightschild Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 9

bumping because it is looking pretty bad in there icon_sad.gif

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 9

I guess you could just level it with a cake leveler when it is cool.

Didn't quite now what to expect when I saw your post name...exploding cake. Guess you're a DYNAMITE baker! :-}

moonlightschild Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixieleigh

I guess you could just level it with a cake leveler when it is cool.

Didn't quite now what to expect when I saw your post name...exploding cake. Guess you're a DYNAMITE baker! :-}

trixie, you are so bad..LOLOLOL

i thought about that but wanted to know if that was the course i should take...do i turn down the heat so it will cook in the middle?

thx

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif I thought you might need a little laugh!

I always bake my cakes at a lower temp...especially when I am using a larger pan. Anywhere from 325-340 degrees. It helps keep it moist. I don't know what temp you are using, but this may help.

moonlightschild Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 9

i was using the temp in the recipe and a smaller pan...i thought by cutting the recipe in half that it would just be enough for it...it just kept rising and rising....i turned down the temp so hopefully it will turn out ok once i get it out of the pan...

thx hon icon_smile.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 9

Shove a cookie sheet under it to catch spilling batter and hope for the best! I think you can salvage it when it comes out, just trim it up a bit. Good luck!

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 9

I had a cake explode once. I moved for California to Colorado and didn't think about the change in altitude. I have made this recipe a thousand times in Cali but in Colorado, it explodes!

I would probably bake it off and see what happens. If you can save it great! if not, failure can be the best teacher!

In the end, what did you decide and what was the outcome?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 9

icon_sad.gif This happened to me before. I put a cookie sheet under it, scraped as much as I could from the bottom of the oven and let it finish baking. Once I leveled it after it was cool, the cake was just fine. I put too much batter I think.

Hope your disaster turns out all right. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%