Ack - Just When I Think I Know What I'm Doing!

Decorating By shalderman Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 5:39am by clsilvus

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 32

Its funny - just when I think I am getting a handle on the how to's of cake decorating, someone asks me to make a certain thing and I feel clueless all over again! icon_rolleyes.gif

I am making a wedding cake for my cousin. She's very laid back and has given me some ideas but in the end said "you do great work, I know whatever you decide to do will be awesome". Ok well I appreciate her confidence, just wish I shared it completely icon_lol.gif

So I'm doing a 5 tier cake: 6-8-10-12-14. Biggest I'd ever done is a 3 tier so this is new for me. Traveling almost 2 hrs so I am NOT assembling prior. I will assemble there. So there should be no need for center dowel but do most people use the wooden dowels for support just fine for this size? I've always had great success with wooden dowels in all my stacked cakes.

And one other ? for something I'm looking for. She likes the cake below (sorry I can't give credit - I don't recall if I found it here or elsewhere online! I was saving about 100 pics to email her for ideas LOL). But her flowers will be things like dahlia's and stargazer type lilies. So she said she liked this cake, but not quite as busy and with a lily type flower instead of the dogwoods. And all the decor (vines/flowers/leaves) are to be red (white fondant base w/red vines).

So ? 1: Anyone have any good ideas for a good cutter for this type of thing - a lily cutter that might look right for the side of a cake design like this?

And 2: would it look weird to have a ribbon or even a vine border - or basically extruded fondant round rope - around the base of each layer? Or would that kill the look?

Sorry so long icon_redface.gif I appreciate any input! Thanks!
LL

31 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 32

Wooden dowels are fine, just make sure that you use enough! I'd use 7 on the bottom tier, probably... I don't have any ideas on the cutter question, but if you did a red vine around the base of the tiers then just continued pieces of the vine up the cake you could work it all into the design and it would look fine. Just make it look like the pieces going up the sides are part of the one surrounding the bases.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 32

First I would look at the patchwork cutters and see if they have something close to work with. Second I think a ribbon border would take away from the look unless it matched the color of the cake just to cover up the rough edges on the bottom of the cake and make it look clean. HTH

shalderman Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 32

Thank you for your input! icon_smile.gif Donna I was worried about the same thing with the ribbon (taking away from the look). I'm THINKING that I'll go with a vine border - the main reason being to cover up any oops or whatever icon_wink.gif I'm likely going to use Satin Ice red - just want to check out their color on that and make sure the red looks like what I'm picturing.

Donna ~ I will do some looking on those patchwork cutters! Thanks for the tip!

I did up a sketch with my very less than average drawing skills icon_razz.gif The top two represent a rope/extruded border and the middle has a "ribbon"
LL

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 32

Your drawing skills look fine to me, can't wait to see the finished cake.

The wood dowels should be fine since you are not transporting a stacked cake.

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 32

Global sugar art have a lily patchwork cutter.

shalderman Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 32

I'll check out global sugar art - can always use an excuse to order there icon_biggrin.gif

Also I took my drawing into my editor and did a quick "redraw" changing some of the tiers to all red. In case the original was still too busy for her...guess another option? I think I'll just email them to her and let her decide!
LL

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 32

I think the beauty of the cake is that it is all covered in vines- I vote for thr first version! icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 32

i love the 1st version, too. but i also like the visual interest in changing the other tiers, but how about instead of them being plain red, what if you did an inversion of the design? where as tiers 1, 3 & 5 are white w/red vines, do 2 & 4 as red w/white vines....

shalderman Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 32

Hmmmm...you all have me thinking today! I'm very visual icon_razz.gif Here's the inverted white vines... Gosh I don't know now!
LL

butterflywings Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 32

i really like that.... i think it's unique and could be a beautiful cake. give her both optionss.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 32

i like butterfly wings. That will be gorgeous! Good Luck

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 32

I like the last one!..
Edna

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 32

I vote for the last one too! Gorgeous! Be sure and post a picture of the finished cake! We'll all be excited to see it!!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 32

Definitely the second one. stunning!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:26pm
post #16 of 32

O.k. you have gotten it down to a couple of choices. I really like the plain red layers w/the vines on white. Remember the reason for coming up w/tht idea was in case the 1st was too busy. Inverting, though pretty also, is still a bit busy.
Give her all of the drawing & let her desideicon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 32

I like the last one! Of course! It will take more time and effort! LOL

Beth in KY

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 32

My vote is for the second version which may be less work with two tiers in just color with no flowers. Good luck

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #19 of 32

I agree with kakeladi...I do like the last one..I would do a lot less vine work so is not too busy!
but thats just me..l and my little opinion...lol
Edna

butterflywings Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #20 of 32

ooo ok... idea... love the white, red, white, red, white background... how about just one vine that kind of winds and spirals it's way from the bottom tier up to the top changing from red vine on tiers 1, 3, & 5 to white on tiers 2 & 4). i'm definitely not a good sketch artist or i'd try to draw it out for you... you could even do two vines on opposite sides, that way whether you're in front or behind the cake you'd see a vine winding up and around.

does that make sense?

shalderman Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:49pm
post #21 of 32

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I sent her all three of my sketches and she liked the last two - the two that had the alternating red layers. BUT she liked either and said "whichever is fine" LOL She's way too laid back icon_razz.gif But I guess that means it's up to me. I'm leaning towards the last one which has the white vines on the red layers. I'm definitely going to go with a less is more type thing so it doesn't end up too overwhelming. I'm still taking any suggestions though! icon_biggrin.gif

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 32

I love the last one! icon_biggrin.gif

likitiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
likitiki Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #23 of 32

I would also go for the last one! very nice icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #24 of 32

THE LAST ONE IS TOTALLY GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE BRIDE'S LUCKY TO HAVE SO MANY CHOICES!

shalderman Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

ooo ok... idea... love the white, red, white, red, white background... how about just one vine that kind of winds and spirals it's way from the bottom tier up to the top changing from red vine on tiers 1, 3, & 5 to white on tiers 2 & 4). i'm definitely not a good sketch artist or i'd try to draw it out for you... you could even do two vines on opposite sides, that way whether you're in front or behind the cake you'd see a vine winding up and around.

does that make sense?

I forgot to reply to this earlier but yes that makes sense. I'll see if I can't figure out some way to simplify it like this when I go to do it. I just can't really have them actually connected as I will be transporting it with the layers separate and assembling there. But I'm going to think about how to make it as non busy as I can yet capture the "vine" essence of it all!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #26 of 32

I like the last one also.

butterflywings Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #27 of 32

i can't wait to see the finished product!

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #28 of 32

Yep, I love the last one, too!! icon_biggrin.gif Looking forward to the pic!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #29 of 32

I vote for the last one too...I actually saw the second one and thought...hmmm...I think it should have white vines on the red teirs...YEAH!! I think it going to be beautiful. (Are you going to use any dusting on the vines...I amost think just a little shimmer may look beautiful too, although it will also look beautiful without.... ) GOODLUCK with it and please show it off when you are all done...we all want to see!!

shalderman Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianDonovan

I vote for the last one too...I actually saw the second one and thought...hmmm...I think it should have white vines on the red teirs...YEAH!! I think it going to be beautiful. (Are you going to use any dusting on the vines...I amost think just a little shimmer may look beautiful too, although it will also look beautiful without.... ) GOODLUCK with it and please show it off when you are all done...we all want to see!!

I wasn't THINKING I'd dust them but it hadn't even crossed my mind honestly! I'll probably just see what happens the day I make it icon_lol.gif Sometimes I can't figure out if that kind of thing will look right until I have the cake in progress.

I'll be sure to post when I do it - however it will be a bit as the wedding is the 2nd weekend of June! icon_smile.gif I'm excited and nervous - its the first wedding cake I've ever done, but I have done 3 tiers before and lots of 2 tiers and its for a wonderful family member who is super sweet and laid back. But you know - all our family is going to be there so I really want it to be great, you know? 95% of the people there will have never seen one of my cakes in person or tasted them before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%