Please Help! Messed Up Fondant Figure.

Decorating By mommabeaver25 Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm by bcake1960

mommabeaver25 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 5

I just got my 1st paying job on this cake and got way over my head. I've the whole cake part down no problem but i decided to try my first ever figure person. I had some fondant in the cabinet so I used it. All in all the person looks pretty good but I decided before hand not to precolor the fondant since I had no real clue what I was doing. I just figured I'd "paint" it afterwards. But it just hit me that if I use lemon extract (as always) to thin our my colors won't this make the fondant alll sticky and possibly fall apart? Please help! what should I do next?

I wish i had done more research before hand and bought anie2's tutorial! Too late now. Lesson learned!

4 replies
tiptop57 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 5

Oh don't panic, you can paint anything afterwards. It will need some drying time and you will have to be careful to give some extra time when two different colors line up so they don't run together. Also, when you do it this way the colors are more intense and tend to "look" wet instead of the dusty color of precolored fondant/gumpaste. I would dab my paint instead of running the paint brush as to keep down the streaks also.

Now I have to ask, did you use straight fondant? If you did they will be very, very, very fragile so be careful. I always use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant for strength as I do not care for fragile pieces nor do I care for working with straight gumpaste as it dries out so quickly.

PM me if you run into a glitch. icon_wink.gif

mommabeaver25 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

yes I used straight fondant. As you can see I really have no clue what I am doing. I know nothing about gum paste or any of that. And yes she is VERY fragle. I've already had to fix her once.

lalalady Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

Hello there you can also mix your colours with any clear alcohol [ gin, vodka ] and this will evaporate very quickly and dry in no time

bcake1960 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 5

Hang in there, look at all the new info you are learning.. it will be fine.. I would suggest after this... getting some powdered Tylose to keep on hand when you add tylose to fondant it makes gumpast! you don't have to make a whole batch of gumpaste.. just add the tylose to your fondant and you have just the amount you need..I does make your work much stronger and sturdier. I always use this for my bows and loops and figures
hth thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%