Cake Support

Decorating By Beana22 Updated 6 May 2008 , 7:56pm by leah_s

Beana22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beana22 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 14

Everytime I stack a 3-5 tiered cake I feel like it does not sit "perfectly" straight and even on top of each other. I use plastic dowels and alot of them. Does anyone know why the tiers sit uneven, even when I use a good support system?
Jeana Beana

13 replies
Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 14

Maybe the dowels are not the exact size? Or the cakes are a little uneven?

Do you have a picture of a cake that did this? That will help us get a good idea of how severe the problem is.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 14

Hmmm.. my first thought is the same as hippiemama.. maybe your dowels aren't 100% even or your cakes themselves aren't level?

How do you cut your dowels?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 14

I would guess the dowels aren't even, perfectly even.

Jen icon_smile.gif

HarleyQuinn51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyQuinn51 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 14

You can all ways make a side-ways cake. icon_lol.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 14

Sounds like the dowels aren't even, even a slight angle when cut can throw the cake off.

Sometimes the dowels are cut perfectly even but are not exactly straight in the cake.

Bakery Craft SPS system is awesome, no dowels to cut and your cake is perfectly straight and very sturdy, just do a search on SPS and you will find alot of threads

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 14

Where do you buy the SPS system? When I have asked a few suppliers about them they either don't know or show me the "lock & load" system- is that the same thing?

Please help as I have a large stacked cake in the next few weeks and really want the best support

Thanks

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 14

are you using the plate with it? I know mine warped in the dishwasher. could that be making it crooked?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 14

You can buy SPS from Global Sugar Arts and Oasis. If you can buy wholesale then you can order directly from BakeryCrafts. If you want directions with pictures, I'd be happy to send them to you. PM me with your email addy and be warned that the file is too big for a free email service to receive. You'll need a paid email account or a friend's corporate account.

vdrsolo Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 14

Also...you need to make sure your cake layers are perfectly level. If your cake itself is not level (and the icing you put on the top), it can throw the look of the cake off.

I use an Agbay cake leveler to get my layers perfectly level (and so does leahs). Wilton levelers are JUNK.

I also use a sewing gauge all around my cake to make sure the icing is perfectly level as well.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 14

Just like everyone else said.
1. Use a level to make sure your cakes are perfectly level (before and after icing).

2. Make sure you cut your dowels not to the cake they will be inserted into but to the other dowels. If your cake isn't level and you cut each dowel to the height of the cake, then your dowels are not level.

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 14

just received my order of the sps stacking system and the 1 question I have is center dowling

Because you can't do 1 dowel through the center of the whole cake-Do you transport the cake already stacked using this system or stack on site?

vdrsolo Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 14

I transport up to 3 tiers stacked. There's a peg in the middle of the SPS plate, make sure you punch a hole in your cardboard before you even put your cake on the cardboard. I put icing on the plate so the cardboard has something to stick to as well.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 14

You can travel with it totally stacked - as much as you can lift. You absolutely, positively in no way need a center dowel. I do always put the top tier on onsite, just so I can check the cake with my level and make any needed adjustments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%