Airbrushing Fondant Circles Black

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm by tiptop57

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 5

I have a square fondant cake due next weekend. It is white with black fondant circles on it. The border is made up of balls of fondant. I am airbrushing them black. I need to know how long I need to let the fondant circles and balls dry before putting them on the cake. Also, what do I need to use to attach the fondant circles to the cake? Thanks

4 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on the humidity in your area and the amount of food coloring, I would give it a good 24 hours for a semi-tacky - workable finish. May I ask why you are not just using pre-colored black fondant? The reason why I am asking is I only pull out my spray brush is when I have large jobs. But this is just me...... icon_biggrin.gif

Regarding attaching them - - - are you appling directly to fondant or BC, with fondant I use egg white and with BC I use a bit of water if the BC has crusted.

HTH

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your response. I bought an airbrush about eight months ago and I haven't used it yet. I wanted to try it on this cake. I will be using a mmf recipe. I read somewhere that using black fondant will turn their mouths black and the airbrush will not. Or at least not as bad. Don't know if it's true or not.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 5

I agree I give mine overnight at least... I airbrush my trims a lot because I like the color depth I get with the AB.... good luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 5

Oh sure, black fondant will turn a mouth color, any strong color will do that, blue, green, etc. But in small amounts it's not a big deal.

But I certainly understand why you want to try out your sprayer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%